The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » My first stage manipulation show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

trashmanf
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of trashmanf
Hello,

After about a year and a half of card manipulation I did my first "paying gig" for a family friend's daughters 16th birthday party. Although there were several minor mistakes I thought it went well, all things considered. I did a McBride-style production routine and a flourishes routine... the magic seemed to get stronger reactions than the XCM, but that could have to do with my presentation. Please let me know what you think, I really appreciate the constructive criticism from experienced performers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQLl6Rzgi2Q
Mike McEathron
View Profile
Regular user
Peterborough Ontario Canada
163 Posts

Profile of Mike McEathron
Well done

I did a card candle and bird act for 5 years and
I think you just need to slow done and let the magic moment sink in

I know that the nerves can get the better if you whne doing this
type of magic.

Keep going I like to see more

Good luck !
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Do your steals on the move. When you move, do so with purpose, don't just shift your weight or shuffle out of nervousness. Cheat out to the audience.
POOF!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Dang! Good job man!

Nice venue! You even had a live music accompaniment! Good audience reactions too! Your practice shows. The suggestions above come from performing in front of a live audience.

When you drop a card or three in your various flourishes or juggling bits don’t sweat it. Don’t react as if it was a mistake. Smile like you meant to do it to prove that the cards are not stuck or wired together. Cascading them into the container at the end would be a nice ending for your routine.

Biggest thing I can offer is to start looking at your audience more. Make contact with them. Look at different people, smile (you do smile). If you have to look at your cards (and I do understand that you do have to look at the cards from time to time), look at your audience after each flourish, trick, stunt, and/or bit. That will help you make contact with them.

You are doing well, in a difficult venue. However, the two meter venue (backyard, living room, etc.) is where you are probably going to get the most work.

Two points that are most important to me. The first is that you actually got up and performed and the second is that you looked like you were having a good time! Keep it up man!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
I agree with all said above. Good job, dude! Also, if you want to get more reactions throughout the "XCM" make sure and give that same little head nod and mini bow you were doing during the manipulation act after each major flourish. If it fits your personality you can even make a little comment like "see? I told you it'd look cool". This just gives your audience applause cues, although I don't think it was entirely necessary. You can also just combine the two doing the flourishes first then putting the cards away and suddenly they keep coming back. Just a few ideas.

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Excellent advices have been given above. I just like to compliment you for being able to do your best there. The audience are responsive and that speaks a great message. Of course there is always room for improvement - which you will as you progress in the art of magic. Keep up the good work.
trashmanf
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of trashmanf
Thank you very much everyone for the suggestions, this website is the greatest! I will definnitely incorporate many of these and I'll keep you guys posted on my next show Smile I really appreciate the help.
Mike McEathron
View Profile
Regular user
Peterborough Ontario Canada
163 Posts

Profile of Mike McEathron
I know I look forward to seeing your next shot at the big time

All the best
trashmanf
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of trashmanf
Quote:
On 2008-08-25 20:44, kregg wrote:
Do your steals on the move. When you move, do so with purpose, don't just shift your weight or shuffle out of nervousness. Cheat out to the audience.

Hi Kregg, what do you mean "cheat out to the audeince"? I like the idea of stealing on the move but I don't understand the last sentence? thanks.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Let's say you are using your right hand to make a steal - turn your body to the right and take one or two steps to the right (towards the receptacle or table) - that few seconds of natural body movements are strong misdirection factors to make the steal.
trashmanf
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of trashmanf
Thank you James I will definitely block that into my next routine. I just rewatched the McBride DVDs and picked up some good tips I'd missed the last time around too.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Quote:
On 2008-08-27 12:02, trashmanf wrote:
Hi Kregg, what do you mean "cheat out to the audience"?

It simply means to play to the audience, open your body out 3/4. Imagine yourself standing in the middle of a large doorway which is an imaginary axis (like a swiss cross) with one line dividing the audience. Try to keep your hand on or forward of the threshold line . Even though your hand is on that line, your face can be slightly turned toward the audience and the audience will still think that you are looking at your hand. This will feel unnatural, but, who's there to watch the show, you or your audience?
POOF!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » My first stage manipulation show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL