The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Miracle berry (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
Has anyone ever tried this ? I just ordered some to try.

"The berry contains an active glycoprotein molecule, with some trailing carbohydrate chains, called miraculin.[4][5] When the fleshy part of the fruit is eaten, this molecule binds to the tongue's taste buds, causing bitter and sour foods to taste sweet. While the exact cause for this change is unknown, one hypothesis is that the effect may be caused if miraculin works by distorting the shape of sweetness receptors "so that they become responsive to acids, instead of sugar and other sweet things."[2] This effect lasts between thirty minutes and two hours."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_fruit
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I just saw a video on this a couple days ago. They call them "flavor berries" and they even help kids to like their brocoli!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I saw a story about that in the NYTimes a while back (the story I read is linked to on the wiki page that was given in the first post). I thought about ordering some trial berries from that guy in the States mentioned in the story, but never got around to it. Also, it seemed rather expensive.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
973 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
Lots of times. Synsapalum dulciforum. Years ago I had a botanical garden "Barrys Nut Farm " (it was also a macadamia farm) and whenever there was a guest who seemed adventurous I would give them a lemon to taste , then give them a miracle berry and let them taste the lemon again. Never failed to bring a smile or look of amazement to thier faces. Still have one growing in a pot in my subdivision home yard and when the time is right I still have fun with it. Just don't try to drink a beer right afterwards....
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
At the GGG we put on here in S.F. we had a miracle fruit party that was hosted by John Bodine. Everyone paid into a pool and we ended up eating all sorts of foods.

Sourdough bread - not sour
Limes and Lemons tasted great!
Different wines and cheese combinations, dark chocolates, the BEST pineapple I have ever had.

The effects last about an hour depending how long you let it dissolve. Definitely try it! I'm looking forward to hosting a party here in my home sometime!

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
magicmonkeyphoto
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of magicmonkeyphoto
Hey Dorian! Long time no see. That's cool you got to try the M. Berry.

I bought a ton of them in tablet form and have been throwing some flavor parties here in LA. Everyone so far (except for one super drunk guy) loved it.

I highly recomend trying it if you get the chance. Lemons, and even grapefruit (which I normally do not like at all) tasted amazing.

Lincoln
http://www.lincolnworld.com/products -- For high end mentalist utility devices, ideas, and props for professionals and serious hobbyists. You can follow me on Instagram @Lincolnworldmagic and on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/LincolnWorldWatchers
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Wait, wait! That wasn't lemon I was drinking at the punch bowl!!! Ah, Lincoln and his mind control cult!!!!

Greg Smile
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
I just got mine and teste a few fruits. Orange was a little bit sweeter, lemon was still very acid, so I think I didn't take enough time to disolve the thing.

What is the best way ? Do you swallow the saliva building up in your mouth or do you spit it at the end ?
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
It's all very strange to me and I'm having a hard time following or understanding?

It's something that changes the way certin food tastes? I love lemons, will that kill the lemon flavor or enhance it? I actually like the way everything tastes, even if I don't like the way it tastes. I respect the flavor.

For example, If I eat anchovies after taking these berries what will the anchovies taste like?

Is this stuff available on the East coast?
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
You'll have to try and test it yourself, I think it enhances the flavor, I had very bad lemons and oranges and they tasted awesome (but lemon still tasted very acid)

But I just checked the expiration date and it was 20/09/07, almost a year ago... I sent a complaint to get some new tabs.
magicmonkeyphoto
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of magicmonkeyphoto
I think it is only available online. I had no luck at all looking around Los Angeles. Beware, some people are selling fake ones.

I recommend reading about it on wikipedia if you want to know more. But, the bottom line is that it suppresses the tongues ability to taste sour, and heightens sweet senses.

Lincoln
PS Greg, get back in your cage or I will take away your happy shoes. The cult is not pleased that you mentioned it. ;b
http://www.lincolnworld.com/products -- For high end mentalist utility devices, ideas, and props for professionals and serious hobbyists. You can follow me on Instagram @Lincolnworldmagic and on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/LincolnWorldWatchers
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
I tested those berries again, they are awesome !!! I love those so much I am thinking of becoming a reseller in Belgium...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Miracle berry (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL