The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Magic From the Grave DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
It's not often you get a magic DVD that is both entertaining as well as informative. "Magic From The Grave" is just that. The DVD's premise is the documentary of how Todd Diamond's last DVD, "!@#$ Street Magic" killed him. Yes, the video itself, killed him. And, like any good soap opera... his corpse is back to give you his final thoughts!
I really did enjoy getting into the storyline. There is a whole mystery that unfolds as you watch the video. Well, in two parts. The "backstory" is on a separate menu of the DVD, but it's not hard to find. In fact, the entire DVD is very easy to navigate. Anywho, back to the point: the premise, setup, and execution of the storyline are spot on entertaining.
There are four effects taught, as well. Three by dead hands, one by Bizzaro. The first of Todd's, "Coins from the Grave," actually totally surprised me. What seemed like a modified click-pass became something so... SO much cooler. This alone is worth the cost of the DVD. Next, the "Spellbound For the Dead." Also, a great fooler. It's not what you think, especially when you see it. It has a surprise ending, and it's actually very easy to do. Just another brilliant idea that died with Todd Diamond, but somehow still explained by his silent corpse....
Next is the "Tombstone Change." When I first saw this, my brain shut-off, with a final yell of "no way!!"
Last in effects is Bizzaro's "BAMF!" trick. I'm not sure where he came up with this, but it's certainly cool. The DVD says it's just a "card teleportation effect," but that is SO underplayed. No funny counts or awkward moves, you really cause one card to cleanly jump from one packet to another. Best of all, like the rest of the stuff on the DVD, it's easy and well explained. ...and shot on a casket...
Included on the DVD is the one thing that most people will probably get this for: An interview with The Amazing Jonathan. To be honest, it's worth every penny. Todd Diamond picks his brain about his theory and practice of subjects not often discussed in magic. Very enlightening, and entertaining. One note... not an interview for kids. But, that's alright. The footage is priceless and ageless.
All in all, I really like it. I felt like I got my money's worth. A couple of great coin tricks, and two great card tricks, and a worthwhile interview. It's well produced, looking very "documentary-esque." So, for $25, I'd totally recommend this to anyone with an interest in coin or card magic, or anyone who would like an example of what a real DVD should consist of.

http://www.magicfromthegrave.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I really liked the !@#$ Street Magic DVD. I think Todd is a great performer, so I'm interested in this DVD.

Aaron, thanks for the heads up!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
I agree with everything that Arron said! This is a great DVD for the price as well as the material. Probably one of the most entertaining DVD's I have bought this year!

Sickmagic!
nabil
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of nabil
I can't wait to see this one. Smile
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I just finished watching this DVD and I can say that I was actually entertained (most Magic dvds are boring, instructional videos, but this one was fun to watch).

My favorite part of the entire DVD was The Tombstone Change. Thanks for showing us that change Todd.

The spellbound was great and will be put into one of my routines sometime soon.

Bizzaro's BAMF (reference to Pulp fiction?) strikes my interest. I have yet to try it out, but I feel that it will be a great effect to add to a closeup routine.

I like how all the routines and explanations (that Todd does) are silent. Not that I don't like hearing Todd's rough, hypnotic voice...but a lot of times performances and explanations can corrupt your own performance. The silence encourages the development of your own patter and routine.

Jonathan's interview was informative and it was good to hear more about him and his thoughts. I honestly liked Dimmare's interview better(on F*** Street Magic) (quality and content were superior). Nonetheless, Jonathan's interview is still entertaining and informative.

For the price, your cannot go wrong. 25$ is a good price for a Magic DVD. Cheaper than his adult video sequel "Diamond is a Girl's Best Friend: Magician and the Beast."
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
A must have. I found myself wanting to get into the dvd, not just sit there and watch mindlessly. Amazing changes!!!
I get to gaff some cool stuff for some cool people
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I just got this email from Magic from the Grave.

"In a strange twist of fate (and unusual showing of seriousness) Fire Cat
Studios and Diamond Magic Productions reach out to victims of loss. On
August 15th, Michael David Crew (brother-in-law to Todd Diamond) passed
away. This was also the same day as the release of the Magic From the Grave
DVD. To honor his passing and that of others who have come before and after
him, the proceeds from the next 20 Magic From the Grave DVD’s sold, will go
to charity ($17.75 after shipping costs). The purchases are tax deductable
and go to a good cause. To learn more about the charity NAMI (National
Alliance on Mental Illness) go to http://www.nami.org
To purchase the DVD, go to http://www.magicfromthegrave.com. In appreciation and to
whet your appetite below is a clip from the Amazing Johnathan interview on
the DVD."

Generally I don't copy and paste, but I think this will go to a good cause. Thanks guys.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I think Aaron did a first rate job reviewing 'Magic From the Grave'. I became a Todd Diamond fan since "!@#$ Street Magic". I wish more folks would get that DVD because the magic on it was wonderful ( The Spellbound routine was beautiful and fooled me good ). And the interview with James Dimmare should be seen by every Magician.

OK, back to Magic From the Grave. It has a artistic flavor that I really enjoyed.

Bizzaro's "BAMF!": I never heard of this fellow and he's quite the entertaining character. BAMF could have been sold as a single trick. I thought I knew what it was going to be, but it didn't have the count needed, so, I was stumped. The description is spot on accurate:

"four Jacks being shown freely and set aside into two packets, separated by colors. A card is chosen and put face down between the two face up black Jacks. The cards are spread, showing the arrangement. With no sneaky moves -- just a snap of the fingers -- the cards are turned over, still spread, but only the two face down cards are seen. The spread is turned over again: the selected card has vanished. The black Jacks are dropped on the table and the red Jacks -- which have not been touched since the card was selected -- are spread and, face down between them, is the chosen card".

Todd Diamond has gifted hands and does some beautiful coin magic. We only see his arms and hands as the magic is done with him behind a tombstone ( Magic From The grave ). This was clever because it shows the magic so cleanly. He has a click pass that is credited to him and it's so deceptive.

Todd does a wonderful card effect called the Tombstone Change could be used as a color change, or as on the DVD a selected card is lost in the deck and an indifferent card changes into it.

The effects Todd does are so clean, that the explanations are done without speaking, just visually.

If you're an Amazing Jonathan fan, you'll enjoy the interview Todd does with him as AJ gives his honest, gut feelings on humor and magic.

I hope Todd does more DVD releases down the road as I really enjoy his style of magic.

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Another Café review is here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=111&1

Shane over at Online Visions also has a review:
http://www.online-visions.com/reviews/0803grave.html

kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1025 Posts

Profile of kannon
MAGIC FROM THE GRAVE
Todd Diamond feat Bizarro and The Amazing Jonathan

$24.99 from http://www.magicfromthegrave.com

Todd Diamond is pretty weird; so I instantly loved him. He's great guy who cares about magic and its performances. I found through watching this DVD and reading his book on Bar magic and performing in bars he is, like myself, all about the creating the effect and moment for the spectator And a lot of his magic is simple and visual.

Magic from the Grave although is foremost an instructional magic DVD but it also serves as a warning to all those magicians amongst us who like to run around graveyards; doing so killed Todd Diamond and it may well kill you to.

The first effect is by a magician called Bizarro.

BAMF! - Four jacks are removed the black two placed aside and the red to used to sandwich a selected card; extremely visually the red card vanishes from the between the two red jacks and makes a startling reappearance between the two blacks jacks.

There are card tricks which look like magic and cards that look like mastery. This looks like a magic. A very startling visual effect and also includes a very deceptive handling of a double to that scene in a standard sandwich effect..

The remaining effects are from Todd.

COINS FROM THE GRAVE – A visual production of two half dollars from seemingly empty hands, the two coins are then banished from whence they came.

This is a devil; when I first watched this the appearance of the second coin was pretty cool it appeared to pop out from the first. Its also a devil to perform am still practising this one as we speak.

SPELLBOUND FOR THE DEAD - : I love Hellbound Spellbound; this is like “Hellbound Spellbound Lite” - A coin changes from a silver to gold the spectator could well ask to see your hands and show so you show him; there are two coins...except they've both silver and there's no gold in sight.

I especially like the way Todd leads them down the garden path with first two more suspicious moves before hitting them with two silvers and no copper...er gold sorry in sight. I'll be using this.

TOMBSTONE CHANGE: A card is shown and transformed into another card, this is particularly nice because the display and change happen away from the pack.
Like all colour changes performed away from a pack the angles are going to tricky... but with this you also end clean

Also included is Todd's interview with the infamous Amazing Jonathan (known for his blue humour and at times controversial style). I heard several times he puts on one of the funniest and most entertaining shows in Vegas. This a great interview between both Todd and Jonathan on the hows and whys of blue and offensive humour in magic.

BAMF! Is taught by Bizarro and thoroughly covers the handling and construction of his effect... all of Todds explanations are silent but come across clear and easy to understand; even if one of the moves in Coins from the Grave is pretty tough. Its a testament to Todd's simple yet visual style that you can learn these routines without verbal instruction.

Whilst Bizarro's performance and explanation are performed over Todd's dead body, Todd's performances and explanations are through two disembodied eerie hands emerging from a tombstone. Although not the live performances that are all the rage, the effect is not lost.

What can I say there are two routines I'll will definitely be using and also a card routine which will be sure to show its head at the right occasions because it is such a visual beauty. That is surely a sign of a good DVD.

I'll also review his ebook collaboration with Mike Wild “Bar Magician” this is great look at effects which play well in a bar environment and includes real workers advice about performing bars and nightclubs. $19.95 direct from Todd Diamond (tpdmagic@gmail.com)
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Kannon, great review. Magic From the Grave is a wonderful DVD and Todd Diamond is a gifted worker!

GET THIS!

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDr11gpMhV0

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Magic From the Grave DVD (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL