The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » I am so nervous! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I just submitted my first article to a major magic magazine. It is a history/biography article about Mercedes Talma. I am really proud of the article but Oh man I am so nervous.
My hands are shaking and cold.
I figure, if nothing else I may get a nice rejection letter to frame:)
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I am prone to extreme anxiety and panic attacks. Sometimes it keeps me up for weeks.
~Will Rogers
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
That comes from obsessing. Where you play and replay all sorts of possible scenarios in your head, and 99.99999% of them will never come true, if any of them. Let go.
Either they accept the article or they don't. Just because one publisher rejects something it doesn't mean another will do the same. I've submitted articles to professional journals to have them rejected one time, then pull them out a year or so later and have them jumped at. That is the publishing game.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
That's true, I heard a similar story about Robert E Howard. He took a rejected Kull story and rewrote it as Conan and they jumped right on it.
Thanks for putting it in perspective.
~Will Rogers
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
When I was in college 12 years ago (graphic design pre-CAD era), the general consensus was that if you had enough rejection letters to wallpaper your room you can call yourself a professional.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
And the Conan thing... I don't think that's what the padre meant.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
Remember the publisher that rejected 'Harry Potter'...?!

There's always someone else to try...

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2021!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
DeadDave
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
176 Posts

Profile of DeadDave
Quote:
On 2008-09-03 19:50, critter wrote:
I am prone to extreme anxiety and panic attacks. Sometimes it keeps me up for weeks.

I have had the same problem. Father Photius is right. It comes from obsessing, and circular reasoning. Do something that requires a series of steps to complete. (I usually cook something complex.) Change your thought process from circular to linear. (Step one, step two, etc.) Or, make a firm decision to do something unrelated to what you're thinking about, and do it! Best of all, try to think of something you could do that would help someone else out, and do that. It helps to get your mind off of yourself.

Using that technique, and advice from the book below, I have learned to control my anxiety.

I can highly recommend Dale Carnegie's "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" I paid a psychologist $120 an hour to learn things that were in that book for only $7.99. I'm completely serious. There was nothing she taught me that wasn't in that book.

People most value what they've paid a lot to learn. If you feel that you won't heed the advice in that book because it costs you virtually nothing, just send me a bunch of money in a box. Smile

Good luck on getting published!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » I am so nervous! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL