The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Strongman Hurts. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Ouch.

Something every strength athlete or entertainer should know is that to strengthen one part of the body, nothing speeds up the process like strengthening the REST of the body. Every muscle in the body goes into a strong grip. The hands and forearms are just the end of the chain. That chain goes up your arms to your shoulders, pecs, back, core, legs, even all the way out to the toes.

So my workouts contain a lot of compound movements. Squats, Pull-ups, Bench Presses, etc.

Today was chest, shoulders, and tris. To set the stage a bit, I am still recovering from the flu, which I have had all weekend. So I was not 100% focused. But because I missed my leg workout Friday, I really didn't want to miss my presses today.

I got through my shoulder workout just fine and with my usual intensity. I swigged some juice to carb up for pecs and got to work with incline dumbbell presses. First set with a pair of 45's to warm up. 20 reps. Then 60's for 15. I wasn't fully getting in the groove yet when I went to pick up the 75's for my final warm-up set. As I stood with them, I forgot to arch my back. I heard a pop and felt an excrutiating, sharp, stabbing pain in my lower back. 150 isn't heavy for presses, but it is a lot of weight to lift wrong off the ground.

I somehow managed to bust out the rest of my chest workout on the Smith Machine and decided to skip tri's. I shakily logged my workout, including the injury, and shambled upstairs to down my protein and soak in some hot water.

After that I laid down for a bit until I got hungry. As I tried to stand to get some food I started to fall and caught myself several times. It was a bit of a blur of pain and somehow I managed to catch the edge of the dresser and hold myself up as the room went black.

I went and got some hydrocodones after that. My friends were worried about me riding my motorcycle to work on hydros, but believe me when I tell you that NOTHING brings clarity and lucidity to the world better than excrutiating pain.

The lesson I take away from this is not to be complacent in anything which involves enormous and heavy chunks of iron. It will bite you in the bum, or the part of your back closest to it.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
To anyone who may be interested:
After two weeks of modifying my workouts to avoid stressing the strained area, I have made a full recovery. Indeed, my back feels stronger than ever. I have also decided to quit eating fast food and gas station food and I feel much healthier for it already, even though this is only the third day. Thanks for any good thoughts anyone sent my way.
~Will Rogers
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
802 Posts

Profile of Maestro
We're all glad you're OK! I wouldn't recommend making a habit of the motorcycle + painkillers combo, that stuff is strong. Once I forgot that I had taken a vikaden after a wisdom tooth removal, and drove to work... At first I couldn't figure out why I was suddenly getting so sleepy at the wheel. Scary stuff.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Thanks.
I kind of blew up my motorcycle....
Getting a new one this spring though. Heritage Springer Softtail classic:)
~Will Rogers
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
802 Posts

Profile of Maestro
Wow, how did that happen?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Strongman Hurts. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL