The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fat Bodies! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I will. I think I'm going to develop an eating disorder and really go for it.

125 by Christmas?
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
Nice job Vandy! It must be all those fights that have you in ripped shape. You jump-roping?
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Yes, actually I do jump rope. But I'm not very good at it and I can't go very long. Jumping rope is a killer workout!

I'm trying to get good at it like some of the boxers. Some of those guys are really, really good at it.

P.S. Don't ever jump rope with barefeet, unless you never miss. I have a speed rope that is made out of a similar material, and slightly thinner than an extention cord. Whap yourself across the front of the toes just once, and you'll know why I say wear shoes. That hurts like a MOTHER!
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Swimming is another great workout; aerobic, and full-body resistance. You almost never see a fat swimmer (obviously, people just floating around in innertubes don't count.)

Something way upthread caught my notice just now- about fat over muscle. Something to keep in mind- while losing the visible fat is nice, it's the invisible fat that really makes a difference health-wise. That's the fat that collects under muscle- stored around your internal organs. I remember hearing that it was one of the main reasons of a high body fat percentage in otherwise slim-looking women, caused by repeated crash dieting without exercise.

Conversely, sumo wrestlers are in good shape despite their weight because their fat is mostly subcutaneous- under skin but over muscle. Their workout regime and lifestyle is designed to bulk them up with this type of fat, which has less of an impact on their athletic prowess.

-Erik
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
How do you gauge how much invisible fat you have? If you don't crash diet and you have otherwise a healthy percentage of visible fat, can you assume it's ok. Or do you have to get in one of those water displacement tanks, or what?

Yeah, swimming is good. I have a pool, but I find swimming laps even more boring than running on a treadmill. I prefer to float around in an inner tube, beer in hand, after a workout.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I'm down to 87 which is halfway there. Not going to make it by Xmas but I blame it on all the muscle I'm building at the gym Smile
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'm at 17 celcius at the moment and my goal is 1.6 kilometers, or 1 legion in roman numerals. Since I can't walk well due to feet injuries my doctor suggested aquacise, now if I can only find a pool.....
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Quote:
On 2008-12-13 14:55, MagicSanta wrote:
I'm at 17 celcius at the moment and my goal is 1.6 kilometers, or 1 legion in roman numerals. Since I can't walk well due to feet injuries my doctor suggested aquacise, now if I can only find a pool.....

You suck, but that's pretty funny rite thar...

I am also a legion, but it'smore in the biblical sense thing. And I hear voices, so my weight, when spread out betwixt my personalities makes me a bunch of really skinny dudes.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
DANG Vandy, with all that weight loss I'll bet ya look like a tennis instructor!
On the serious side, congrats man!
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
My wife bought me Wii Fit for Christmas! Now I can play video games and work out at the same time!

-Erik

Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2008-12-14 12:25, MickeyPainless wrote:
DANG Vandy, with all that weight loss I'll bet ya look like a tennis instructor!
On the serious side, congrats man!

Ha! Maybe I do! Thanks.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2008-12-16 12:21, EsnRedshirt wrote:
My wife bought me Wii Fit for Christmas! Now I can play video games and work out at the same time!

Does that really work? Can you get a good workout using that thing?
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2008-12-16 12:25, Vandy Grift wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-12-16 12:21, EsnRedshirt wrote:

Does that really work? Can you get a good workout using that thing?

Well, it depends on your definition of a "good workout". You'll get a much better workout doing free weights or jogging. But if it's a choice between Wii Fit or sitting on your butt, yeah, the Wii Fit at least encourages physical activity. And some of the activities do require enough exertion to increase your heart rate.

-Erik

Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
That's cool. I saw the yoga one on a commercial. But I wondered if they had something that was fun that would get your heart rate up and a sweat going. I agree, anything is better than nothing.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Little over a week until Christmas. Wonder if Nicholas made it.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Oh I just saw Nicholas post saying he was halfway there. Looks like he would have made it by Christmas had he not become muscle bound!
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2008-12-17 14:38, Vandy Grift wrote:
Oh I just saw Nicholas post saying he was halfway there. Looks like he would have made it by Christmas had he not become muscle bound!

At which point you stop going by weight and BMI, and start calculating percentage of body fat. A fairly decent estimate uses the navy method (which measures places where body fat does and does not accumulate, then calculates fat % based on the difference.)
Find one here:
http://zone.cust.he.net/prothd2.html
(Note: you will need a cloth tape measure for this.)

-Erik

Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2008-12-17 16:44, EsnRedshirt wrote:
(Note: you will need a cloth tape measure for this.)

I suggest a Myotape. They are really easy to use.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fat Bodies! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL