The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » looking cool on the job! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
I had to share this perfect moment with everyone on the Café, because you could not ask for a better setup.

While working the bar at one of the restaurants that I work at, I was doing my usual sponge rabbit routine. But after placing "one rabbit" into my hand and "one" into the spectator's hand, I noticed that he realized what I had done. After he thought that both I and the other spectators were not looking he placed one of the rabbits into his other hand. Luckily, I noticed him doing it. When it came time, the one rabbit vanished from my hand, I then looked at him and said open your hand up. He opened his hand with the smug look of that person who thinks he has beaten you. Without missing a beat, I said "now look in your other hand". He had no choice but to show everyone that his other hand now contained the other rabbit...

The result was more powerful than any trick I could have planned. The rest of the people went wild because they knew him and that he was not my stooge, and he did not say a thing: he actually played along with me from that point on and I know he never told anyone about it because his friends still talk about it a week later.

As a side note, I think this goes a long way to proving the whole "make them them your friend, not an idiot" premise that too many people cross. If I had made him look stupid, he would probaly blabbed, but I made him look great and he played along.

Mat
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Good story Mat! I liked the fact that you made a point about making the spec your friend and not an idiot. Good point. Smile
xicepik
View Profile
Regular user
Montréal
117 Posts

Profile of xicepik
Imagine if the spectator dropped one in his pocket ! What a cool effect ! Smile
Nice trick by the way !

Mark
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Just imagine if you could load the card in his pocket without him knowing...

I was performing magic last weekend in a bar and a group of people, in suits (looking a little out of place) came in toward the end of the night, I was just sitting down to have a drink and play with the cards, when one of the guys walked up to the bar to get another drink, when he leaned over to put his glass on the bar, his breast pocket what right there, I slipped the Ace of hearts in unnoticed. I had just made myself a miracle.

After a short time, when I saw that their in depth conversation had died down I approached for the kill… I made sure to stand opposite the “loaded man” so later when they talked about it I was never even near him… I after a few effects, I went for kill! Boy they were floored.

As a side note, later that night the bartender told me that the man I was talking to was the Mayor. Boy was I surprised!
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
SkipSoucie
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of SkipSoucie
It's times like that, that makes a trick Magic..
Wesley
View Profile
New user
Sheffield U.K
56 Posts

Profile of Wesley
The club I work at has a cash machine and one night I was stood near it and I caught a glimpse of someone's cash card number as they entered it into the cach machine. I quickly memorised it and made a mental note of the spectator. Later that evening, I approached the person...did a few tricks and finished with a card trick that revealed their cash card number. The reaction was fantastic. I now use this trick all the time; I also do it with dates of birth and it's a real reputation maker trick.
Great Domino
View Profile
Special user
Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Great Domino
Wesley, I think that divulging that info is a going a little too far, don't you think? I mean, no one should have access to that other than the owner. If I saw you standing near me while I was using the ATM, you'd be on the floor, man. Point being, don't invade someone's privacy.
EsKlibur
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of EsKlibur
Hey Mat great story! It illustrates two very important things that I think all magicians should tend to do: make spectators your friend, and be quick to improvise if a situation arise. Good job man!
"Poetry is the Magic of Lies,
Magic is the Poetry of Lies" - Jean Cocteau
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
Nice story. I bet you still smile when you think of it.

Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
Wow, that must have been the best.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
Great story and if you will let me I have one of my own, participating in a murder mystery show I was playing of all things a magician, my wife who was playing a socialite was talking to one of the patrons and when the chance arose she slipped a 20 centavo into his coat pocket, I approached later and did some magic. I finished with S/S and had the coin change into a penny. When asked where the coin was I pointed to my VICTIMS pocket. The look on his face was priceless. Whenever we get a chance we do that bit. Thanks for you ear...Jeff
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
LOL Matt I can't believe the adult was as bad as a child! Way to make it work for you! Working with kids I have to think on my feet like that all of the time.
Way to go!
Smile
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
Thanks for the above wonderful stories.

I started to understand more what Magic is. This is what those hardcore sleight of hands technicians should learn.

Keep on creating Magic!

Michael Lam
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » looking cool on the job! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL