The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » How closed market should I be in customers? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I promote myself as a family style entertainer and my website even says I do not do Adult Only shows.

I am getting a lot of enquiries through Gigmasters about Christmas Parties or Awards banquets. It also states clearly on Gigmasters I do family style shows. Should I bid on them and re-emphasise if they want "adult" material, I may not be their guy, or turn them down altogether.

I had a bad experience with an adult Christmas party last year that has left me a little gun-shy.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
I guess if you're not comfortable doing adult shows, then shy away from it. If you force yourself into doing them, your show will surely suffer.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
I do a lot of kidshows and family shows...but I don't see why I can't do adult only shows Smile

In your case Neale, I have to agree with Ony that if you're not comfortable doing adult shows, then shy away from it....but if I may suggest, give it another try. I used to be really uncomfortable with adult only shows...in fact, the first couple of adult only gigs were terrible Smile

Til I got the hang of it and felt more comfortable...plus...the characters I use for such gigs are not the ones I use in my kidshows Smile although I have to confess that I did try using with much success the Big Baby gag in my adult only shows :O
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Neale,
Bid on the shows and explain the family nature of your show. Don't accept a show if you feel you are not the right entertainer for their event. Its the professional thing to do. But don't assume that all corporate planners want something edgy. Explain it in the quote, then discuss it with them by phone before booking. You might not get the banquet, but it may lead you to family parties.

At the same time, seriously look at your material. I do a routine that I developed for a quick set at a pre-school when I was starting. The routine evolved and now gets great laughs at corporate events even though it is clean.

Each company is different - your routines may be perfect for the client. If you are getting laughs from adults at your family shows - it may be a confidence factor on the all adult audiences. That said, you already have the answer - do what you are comfortable with.
Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Oh, I remember--after reading Tom's post above--vent living legend Bill DeMar does practically THE SAME show, whatever audiences he might have--kids, family, adults!

He just makes some adjustments on how to present each routine, and they fit with each audience type.

You may want to get one of his DVDs (I don't know now the title) where he presented the same material, but in front of various audiences.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
You can entertain adults without being vulgar or relying on sexual material. It's a cheap way to get easy laughs. It takes more imagination to create routines for adults that work without sophomoric sexual innuendos but it can be done and can be successful. Remember, adults are just children who are now older.
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
I remember performing at a convention years ago as a musician, and watching the featured act of the night, an imported (out of town) VERY blue vent act. It was painfully obvious that many of the audience members were offended, yet the vent never slowed down with his speeding train of vulgar humor. The next year, the same group brought in a local vent, who did a really great set that did not feature one off-color joke. Everyone had a blast, and now the promoters and agents call her instead of the guy from out of town. It was a great lesson to learn and see as a fly on the wall. I have never forgotten what I learned from both of those performers....

Mark Pettey
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I just need to forget last years bad show. I agree with Tom that I just have to be very upfront about the type of show I do.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » How closed market should I be in customers? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL