The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Difference between cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Looking to get my first set of cups, probably going to get bazar de magia cups, as not bank breakers and don't look to cheap either.
There's 2 sets though, set of 3 cups or a combo set with 2 regular cups and a chop cup, I really do not have a clue sorry but what is the difference with having a chop cup?
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are a couple of moves you can do with the combo set that you can't do with a regular set. I'll PM you.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
You may want to do a search in YouTube for John Mendoza's routine. Take a look and see some of the things he is doing. J.Mendoza uses the combo cups.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I will recommend Bazar in Copper or Brass on a combo set. The combo allows you to do a normal routine and a combo routine and you can use the chop cup by itself on a chop cup routine.
I used to have a set in copper and was very nice

Pablo
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I second the recommendation about the Bazar cups. I have a brass set and find them to be very durable, practical, and a good value.

However, in my opinion, you should just get a standard set of non-gimmicked cups. The combo set is really a combination of two different tricks -- the Cups & Balls and the Chop Cup -- and in my humble opinion, does not do justice to either. While there are some extra moves you can do with a combo set, you also need to be vigilant about which ball is which and which cup is which. That's almost more trouble than it's worth, in my view (I'm sure Mr. Mendoza and others would disagree!) And in all fairness, I speak from experience, because I had an aluminium Bazar combo set, which is now gathering dust on a shelf.

But to me, it's the same problem as Scotch whiskey. I like barbecue and I like whiskey, but I don't like barbecued whiskey, which is what Scotch tastes like to me! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You don't have to USE the combo feature unless you want to... if you get a combo set you are better off.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Well, that's true, Pete, but the combo cup always weighs, looks and sounds different than the rest of them -- maybe it was just my inexpensive set? SETH
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
In some combo sets, such as some of the RnT II sets, the Johnson sets and the van Dokkum sets, the chop cup weighs and sounds exactly like the others. They are actually basically made the same way except that the magic ingredient is missing.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Bill,

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have two sets of cups: Jake's/Mendoza set and some silver Sherwoods. I cannot tell the "funny" cup apart without something ferrous about with either set.

I thought this was the norm. Do you know what sets have the chopper weigh differently. I've been assuming real cup makers made them weigh the same???
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
In some less expensive sets, the "chop" is not spun in, it's just added on, and is clearly distinguishable from the other cups.

However, even if it was not distinguishable, that wouldn't excite me enough to buy it -- call me a Luddite, but I'm just not a big fan of combo sets. SETH
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I have a Morrissey Combo set. The weight and sound difference is very obvious. On examination you can see the seam where they spun in the half-gaff which reaches only to the first bead, pretty much locking it in place.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
I have a set of bazar de magia brass cups and I think they are very nice.
I also have a bazar de magia brass chop cup and all I can say is the worse looking device I have seen, you can see the metal disc in the bottom of the cup.

so just get a set of non-gimmicked bazar de magia cups.

walid.
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Difference between cups (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL