The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any astronomers / stargazers out there? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
Magicians and astronomy have connections that go back thousands of years. I've been fascinated by astronomy ever since I bought my first telescope when I was ten, also the first thing I bought with money I earned myself. It almost ended up being my career.

I live on top of a mountain next to a whole lot of wilderness so my skies are pretty dark despite a little light pollution from nearby Vancouver. Anybody else have a passion for looking up at night? Smile

-Reg {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
fhood
View Profile
New user
Southern California
86 Posts

Profile of fhood
One of the best experiences of my 34 years so far on this planet was a few years ago while in the U.S. Navy. Out at sea in the middle of the Pacific Ocean hundreds of miles from any land, I would sometimes go out on deck at night when there was a new moon. I had never seen the night sky that way (i.e. with no light pollution from nearby cities, etc.). It was incredible! So many stars -- many more than can be seen from land. It was great! I'll never forget that experience. I also got to see the Hale-Bopp comet while out at sea in the spring of 1997. It looked great, too, in that kind of dark sky!!

Frank
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Hey man, one day I'm talking to Bigwolf and the next to Reg Rozee the Grammar Host - quoting Albert Einstein in place of Bela Lugosi!!

Finding areas where ambient light is almost non existent is the problem. Years ago when streetlamps were that funny blue colour (well, as a kid I do remember one or two gaslamps - but keep that quiet!), the sky was still visible. But nowadays everything is amber and it's kind of difficult. Where we will be taking our caravan (trailervan) over Easter, just 45 mins. from home in the English Peak District, you get these kind of nights when you look up and say "Wow!". We too watched Hale-Bopp's dusty trail over the Irish Sea (was it as long ago as '97?). Just a couple of miles from us is a different kind of telescope, Jodrell Bank Radio Telescope. This is the one that came to fame back in the 60's I think, when the Russians had lost track of one of their Sputniks. Jodrell found it.

http://www.jb.man.ac.uk
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I belong to the side walk astronomers. I built my own refelector 10 telescope.
(I have a Dobsonian telescope named after the inventor, John Dobson, who is now 85 years old).
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Phil Pearce
View Profile
Loyal user
Dallas, GA
260 Posts

Profile of Phil Pearce
Vinny,
How time flies. John Dobson is now 87, will be 88 in September.
Cheers!
Phil
Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Wow Phil, I didn't realize he was that old. He moves like a 20 year old. He signed my 6 inch scope afer he looked through it, at the observatory here in So Calif. His lectures are great.
P.S. Where do you live perhaps we can meet ..
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
I wish I had seen Hale-Bopp under dark skies-- the sky at sea is really amazing.

One of the best nights of looking I had was in northern Ontario back in the late 80's when I was still in the army. I went out to watch a meteor shower (the Leonids I think), and not only did the shower start but so did the aurora! It was incredible-- huge sheets of aurora overhead, with the Leonids just visible streaking throught it --wow!

-Reg {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any astronomers / stargazers out there? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL