The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » All these one-trick decks!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I've managed to collect a few card tricks - but most of them need a "special" deck that is set up and can't be used for anything else: Invisible Deck, Tagged, and a few others.

So how do you handle switching out to a different deck every time you want to do a card trick?

Ed
jake.o
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of jake.o
I normally put the deck away in my pocket and then say let me just show you something else where I can remove a normal deck (that is kept in the same pocket)and it never arouses any suspician that your using a different deck to the last trick.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I very rarely use those decks.
However there are a few different ways to present the Invisible and the Stripper is perhaps the most versatile of special decks.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
I do only one trick per set that requires a gimmick deck. The trick I typically do actually requires two gimmicked decks, but one is a switch-out from a deck that was previously used in two other tricks, so as far as the audience is concerned I'm only introducing one "new" deck.
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
486 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
After doing a few card tricks, you can put the deck away and do a few non-card effects. When you are done, simply remove the "trick" or stacked deck for another card trick. Your audience will assume it was the same deck you used before.
Visit www.povmagician.com for
The Rub-a-dub Deluxe Suite
The Morphew One Hand Top Palm
Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp and more...
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
497 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
Cards to the pocket, do something else, then pull the trick deck out of the same pocket is the classic for deck switches.

Aaron Fisher has an excellent variation. If you can get to one of his lectures and he doesn't do it, ask him about it.

Then there are the gimmicks like the deck shell, Fantasio's Deck Switcher, and the Pimpernel Card Box. (I have all of them, and the Pimpernel is the one I use.)
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
If you're wearing a sports coat, Shawn Farquhar has a great idea for a deck switch. The handling is in his "The Ultimate Invisible Deck".
Sammy J. Teague
AdamWhite
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of AdamWhite
Cards are my favorite.

There are some effects with trick decks that are so powerful you just can't help but use gimmick decks.

Here is what I have done in the past. Put a few cards which are specific for a packet trick (twisting aces, gemini twins, color monte) on the top or bottom of the trick deck and perform the trick that utilizes the gimmicked deck without disturbing the packet. (This is easy to do with the invisible deck. Just be creative.)

When the gimmicked deck trick is over, take out the packet of cards for your packet trick then box and pocket the gimmicked deck. After the packet trick you can ring in the regular deck for your finale.

There, a routine of three tricks and the best part is all the funny business the audience doesn't even know about
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » All these one-trick decks!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL