The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September 2008 entrée: Homer Liwag » » Rudy Coby » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Homer, has Copperfield ever mentioned if he found Rudy's ""Magic Dave" skit humorous?

For those that have never seen it, here it is:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iAhcLVJI0yM
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
chias
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of chias
ROFL. That's a great question Christopher, and I would really like to hear the answer.
Homer Liwag
View Profile
V.I.P.
223 Posts

Profile of Homer Liwag
I have never seen that! Funny stuff.

H
Homer Liwag
View Profile
V.I.P.
223 Posts

Profile of Homer Liwag
David just watched the Rudy Coby spoof and thought it was hilarious and very well done. Funny stuff and performed very well.

Homer
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Homer, Rudy has always wondered if Dave liked it or was offended. Rudy was the guest of Honor on the Café this year and posted this following. Maybe you can pass it onto Dave:

"Magic Dave was written out of pure affection and respect for David Copperfield.

I think it was Mark Kornhauser who once said, 'David's not just in first place - he's in first, second, third and fourth place.'

I agree.

The thing is that you couldn't write something like this unless you were a die hard fan - every single gesture and camera angle was planned to the tiniest detail.

I mean, consider this: I cast an actor even BETTER looking than the real David Copperfield.

Also, on the day we shot it various people tried to go for the low road by trying to convince me to get cheap laughs by putting big shoulder pads in his costume, or making Claudia Schiffer jokes, etc, but I just wouldn't do it because that's not what it was about.

The girls playing the dancers were his ACTUAL assistants from his TV specials. They were the twins and even though it would have looked better if they looked the same, I put a brunette wig on one so they would look different so I wouldn't **** off David.

The guys playing the cops were a former writer of his that wrote his early specials and the other was his first manager.

There was a little controversy stirred when somebody leaked the script to him during production - I heard that he wasn't pleased.

A few years later I ran into him at Chris Kenner's wedding in Las Vegas.

Copperfield was in the wedding party, so there was no way I could avoid him on the way out of the ceremony - he was shaking hands at the exit like everyone else. My wife begged me not to say anything, but I couldn't resist: in my best Labman voice, I said, 'Magic Dave....we meet again.'

He smiled.

I hope he realizes that ten years down the road every word was written out of pure love for everything that he's done for Magic.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September 2008 entrée: Homer Liwag » » Rudy Coby » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL