The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Creeping ring (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SillverFoxx
View Profile
Loyal user
A Foxx in Her Soxx has...
224 Posts

Profile of SillverFoxx
Hey guys,
I didn't actually see the whole episode, but on Celebracadabra when the contestants were performing at the retirement center (I think) Hal Sparks did an effect where a ring slid up a string. I'm not sure if it was an audience member's ring or not, and I didn't see him perform the whole thing, but I thought it looked interesting. Anyone know what that's called? I haven't been able to find it. Any opinions on it?

Thanks!!
-A Foxx in Her Soxx
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Martin Gardner's "Climbing Ring"
It's done with a ring (can be borrowed) and a rubber band; completely impromptu. It's an neat effect, but I don't find it very deceptive.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
SillverFoxx
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of SillverFoxx
Thanks Smile
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
If you use black elastic, it looks more like a string or cord and not a rubber band.

Jim
SillverFoxx
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of SillverFoxx
Quote:
On 2008-09-24 15:09, jimhlou wrote:
If you use black elastic, it looks more like a string or cord and not a rubber band.

Jim

Oh... thanks for the tip! Smile
Airave
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
137 Posts

Profile of Airave
You know....that trick is one of many that a Magician may underestimate...

Strangely, I've done that just-for-fun in a computer store for an especially attractive employee or for a general (unintended) audience during a very strong rain storm at an outdoor event...

In any case, it gets great results and dropped jaws.

Wish I had a routine...do it mostly out of boredom or "just because".

With good theatrical playing, of course!
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
I do this with a rubber band, and I am amazed/surprised at the great reactions I get; better than Pinnacle or CMH.
Not bad for a trick I learned in seconds, casually browsing through a book at Borders. (No, I didn't buy the book as there was absolutely nothing else in it I could use. I know, I will probably be sent to magicians' ****.)
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
I get some satisfying mileage out of this one, too, incorporating it into other rubber band work. But I've learned the hard way to emphasise the fact that my hands stop moving and the ring continues to move (using patter of your choice, of course); otherwise, some Smart Guy will dismiss the effect by saying I simply "moved my hand." Cut him off by noting -- somehow -- that your hands are perfectly still as the ring climbs. Bonus awe for a borrowed ring.
Cranial Fermentator
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of Cranial Fermentator
I really love this effect! I incorporated it into my "Haunted Key" routine, substituting the skeleton key for the ring.
Ethan
View Profile
Regular user
UK
142 Posts

Profile of Ethan
You can find this effect as part of a much longer routine on "Banding Around" by Russell Leeds. It is reviewed here at the Café.
The link is here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=111
Leo-Kim
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of Leo-Kim
It is also taught by Ben Salinas on Hotshot with rubberbands by Magic Makers (I know, I know... it was a package deal...) No credit given though.

Mikael Johansson
Sweden
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well (Donald Duck)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Creeping ring (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL