The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Cheat Sheet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I have found that there are times when performing that I draw a blank, and momentarily forget which card is at which number! I think this happens when I am stressed or very nervous during a performance. I have decided to start keeping a "cheat sheet" with me to peek at if this happens again.

Anybody else do this? This would proabably work really well for somebody still working on a memorized deck.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
I don't think you should need it after the deck has been really really committed to memory. In my case that took a lot longer than actually learning it. You also need to get comfortable with using the card to stack number thinking in different ways and knowing them in different orders such as all the cards in order by suit.

People are different but I don't think there are anyone on this planet more nervous than me. There are many page long threads on this site devoted solely to my famously shaking hands and blank empty stare. Smile And I find that if anything goes wrong, it will be with the math or sleights and not with the card/stack number relationship.

Here is what I suggest. Try using the deck as a cheat sheet. Peek top or bottom cards. Glimpse the card above or below your card if you are in a situation where you can and see if that puts the selected card in context.

If they merely mention a card and you have to cut to it and you draw a complete blank, you could perhaps make up an excuse why you wouldn't recommend that particular one. If they say the name of one of the Aces or court cards, you could for instance ask them to pick something more anonymous. Maybe there are good excuses for other cards as well, such as them having been used before or something.

Another thing you could do is to actually mark the cards for a while. Maybe that isn't practical for a full deck but if there are a few you always have problems with you could perhaps give them something to jog your memory.

And drill them more of course. That is the best solution probably. Again and again and again even though you fell that you know them perfectly when you aren't nervous.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
If you're using the Peg System of Memory it is really difficult to draw a blank. You can actually figure out either the card or the number by converting it to a word.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Nothing wrong with having a cheat sheet handy. It may instill confidence, and may not have to be used at all.

On my website, in the article on Aronson Stack Mastery, I explain how the assorted different memory banks you are creating does give you a back up.

To read about it, just go to my website ( http://www.loomismagic.com ) and click through to the mem-deck area and then scroll down to the articles index and click on article 14.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Somewhere I have a playing card with the Aronson Stack on it. I don't recall where I got it; maybe with Try the Impossible.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2008-10-02 16:01, S2000magician wrote:
Somewhere I have a playing card with the Aronson Stack on it. I don't recall where I got it; maybe with Try the Impossible.

Me too! I bought the book used and the card was in there. I assume it was part of the package.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
I was going to say that I didn't get any card in my copy and that I felt cheated and left out. Smile But then I decided to take a second look just to be sure and there it was!

I thought I had actually read through that book but I guess I never did after all. Apparently I didn't even get to the middle, which is where the card was. And now I'm waiting for another Aronson book to arrive in the post. Oh well.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
churken
View Profile
Regular user
California
199 Posts

Profile of churken
I want to second Noobini's original post about just learning through practice and experience.

I also got one of those printed stack order cards in my Aronson book, but used it only as a book mark.

My concern with a cheat sheet is that it gives you a false sense of security. It is nice to have on you, but when can you look at it during a routine?

If you put it in the deck, you have to palm it out somehow. Then you have to be able to look at it while the heat is on.

If you put it in the cellophane of your card box, you have to fiddle with the card box during the routine and still have the problem of looking at it when the heat is on.

If you put it in your pocket, you have the same problems as listed with it in the deck.

Of course if you perform seated you could put it under a leg and adjust when the problem arose, but you still have to look down at the card.

A cheat sheet is a good idea, but I don't see how you can logistically look at it durning a close up routine. After all, if you truely don't have any idea where the card is, you have to look through your whole cheat sheet in order to find it. I believe that would take much more time than just bagging the routine and turning into a card to wallet or some other out. However, if you know that the card is in, say, the 40's then you should be able to pretty easily be able to come up with it from your memory based entirely on cyclical memorization.

One idea, if you are going to use a cheat sheet, comes to mind. (I believe I learned this from Max Maven, but do not know an original or proper source) You could tape the cheat sheet to a sharpie or across the top of a note pad. Then as you wrote down a prediction, it would give you the time and cover needed to look quickly at the cheat sheet.

Good luck, and keep working on the stack. It will pay off.

Paul
EdgarWilde
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of EdgarWilde
The suggested cheatsheet (which you can easily adapt to any stack you wish) will be with the deck without any suspicion being drawn to it - unless you make it too obvious that you need it, you just need a presentational ploy to ring it in.
So you will need to create an alternative fork in each routine to bring in the cheatsheet - please aim to keep the use of this to a minimum.
The more you force yourself to properly use the stack (not relying on a cheatsheet) the better you will learn it and it will become second nature.
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
497 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
If by "cheat sheet" you mean a second way to get to the next card in the stack, I do that by having memorized Osterlinds BCS stack. That way, if (when!!) my memory fails, I can always find the next card by doing the math. Having the next card will usually jog my memory as to the position.

Bill
EdgarWilde
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of EdgarWilde
@Billgussen: the cheatsheet can be used for a little more than just obtaining the next card - one could revert to Si Stebbins if the next card is all that one needs and one can't remember what 4 pairs of monarchs did. The principles behind the mentioned cheatsheet are discussed in Mnemonica and Try the Impossible and comparable to a marketed item quite popular a few years ago.
H2Odesign
View Profile
Regular user
the Armpit of the Panhandle
193 Posts

Profile of H2Odesign
Quote:
On 2008-10-02 16:01, S2000magician wrote:

It was Try the Impossible;
also one is included in New World by Dean Dill and Michael Weber, though my 2nd hand version didn't have this valuable crib :o(

Larry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Cheat Sheet (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL