The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Through Window, trust me it's different (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
The effect proposed should at least have more work behind it. Just saying "how about this" doesn't help.

Example: "How about a signed card ends up inside the belly of a shark caught off shore Florida".

It's not going to happen. That's all I'm saying.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Harris0n
View Profile
Loyal user
leeds uk
290 Posts

Profile of Harris0n
Is the shark a stooge?
"There are times when the truth is necessary and times when myth-making is necessary." Nick Cave
Andy H
View Profile
Regular user
London
106 Posts

Profile of Andy H
The shark is me, dressed up as a shark, they look back at where I was and a shark is standing there in a shirt and trousers.
Paul Harris: My Astonishing Hero
lewis
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of lewis
They look back at you and you are a lifeguard, saving them because they are in the middle of the sea about to be attacked by a shark.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
The difference is that while the shark idea is about as plausible as Andy's idea, Andy's idea is ironic and 'inspired'.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
I want to know why you can't do the shark thing? Surely we can all think of methods to do this? The hardest part would be actually catching the shark, and getting the audience to wait that long for the end of the trick!!

I think any idea - however crazy and impractical - can be very useful in sparking the creative process.

If you aimn for the stars, you might reach the moon - if you aim for the basement, you'll probably get there!
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
If you aim for the stars, but have no working plan, you drift out into space endlessly.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
That sounds like the plot for Star Trek!

I just have to say it now....
"Beam me up, Scotty."

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Quote:
On 2003-06-11 01:26, MagicChris wrote:
If you aim for the stars, but have no working plan, you drift out into space endlessly.

I don't mean that simply aiming for something will get you there. What I was saying is that when you aim for the stars, you look at various methods to get there, analyse them all, research, investigate etc. During all this research and investigation it is possible that you will stumble on other more practical things (EG Velcro was invented during research for the space program).

If you only aim for the basement then you won't stretch your imagination, you won't be forced to do research into unknown areas and you probably wont discover anything new at all.
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
This is starting to get confusing. I mean ... where do I aim if I want to appear on the other side of the basement window?

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
That's easy, you need to aim for that little Café on the river in Paris, you know the one with the fresh bread on the racks out front? Aim for that and you should at least get to the other side of the basement window.
If that doesn't work, then ask Andy how you get there!!

(confused - so am I!)
Andy H
View Profile
Regular user
London
106 Posts

Profile of Andy H
To appear on the other side of the basement window you must first have a window on your basement which does not look at soil.

Assuming your basement is underground. Mine is above the roof. I have three stories but live in a bungalow, a bungalow is classified by having no stairs, I have only poles in my house, it's hard to get up but it's very theft proof.
Paul Harris: My Astonishing Hero
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
Ok, back to the big card --> you on other side of window.

Dig this: (hopefully it shows up well)

(wall) (wall)
===== =======|
(you) (spec)|(window)
|

You're along a wall with the doorway in it, with the spectator(s) in a corner. (one side a wall, the other the window) When the spectator turns to look at the window, you grab the folded up huge card from the other side of the wall, (or your jacket?!) and unfold it, leaning against the wall me thinks. You dash behind the wall! Then when they've looked back, you stand behind the window!! Tada! Thinking outside the... window. Smile

--Diavo Smile

Darn, the ASCII pic didn't space well. Basically between (wall) and (wall) there is a bigger space [the doorway], and you stand next to that. The equal signs are the walls, the pipes: | are the window, which didn't line up. Smile
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
You could do this if you had a twin.
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
lol, wow -- that's a great idea.

Too easy though... assuming you had one. Smile
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
Zeftron
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Zeftron
You could load the card into the shark with a billet knife....

Have a patter about unscrupulous cardmen in the 1950s who hid the winning card in all manner of places - their inspiration being the card shark that you are now opening...

I'll get my coat Smile
Jack
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Jack
You could tell the spectator to look into the water because their card is underneath. When they do, the shark jumps up and chomps their head. Just before they pass away to the afterlife beyond the stars, they see their card in the sharks throat, and since it's close to their face, it appears to be large. See, all things connected. Whoops, I forgot about the window part. Nevermind.
Smile
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Do you take the car?

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Through Window, trust me it's different (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL