The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » TV Miracle Cards in the past (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The TV Miracle Cards did display on commercials in Michigan. Was it advertised on television in your state too?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I think you are thinking of Marshal Brodien's TV Magic Cards, and yes they advertised in Texas.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Good, I truly remember those days. It gives me the chills.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Quote:
On 2008-10-03 18:35, Dynamike wrote:
Good, I truly remember those days. It gives me the chills.

I'm not surprised, I hear that it can get pretty cold in Michigan.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Marshall took me to see his new warehouse (this was about 20 years ago) and there must have been a million decks of cards, stacks and stack on palletes, maybe 20 feet high... in a ui9lding maybe 60 x 120 feet.

I said, "Uh, do you think you might have ordered too many decks?" Marshall said, "This is only half the order."
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
He could also be (more likely) talking about "TV Mystery Cards"...

Steve
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
I remember Svengali decks being marketed on a local NYC TV channel TV in the late '50s or early '60s. I suspect those lengthy pitches, along with the ones for Charles Antell Formula #9, a hair product, were the first infommercials. The trick cards pitchman was named Bob Briar. He had a mid-western accent but was definitely not Marchall Brodeen. Anybody else remember?
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
If I remember correctly, TV Magic Cards were Marshal Brodien's Svengali decks, and TV Mystery Cards were his Mental Photography decks. Of course, I bought both when I saw his commercials. Then, he branched out and put out a magic set. What a golden morning it was finding that under the Christmas tree. Ah, good times.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Marshall Brodien has a very dry wit and a huge repertoire of incredible stories about his days of performing in Chicago.

He is a very personable guy.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
And if I may add Marshall Brodien was a top close up magician that used to perform close up magic in the Lounge that was owned by Johnny Paul. He was also a great stage illusionist and a very good stage performer. Plus he was a successful night club hypnotist performing in some of the top Chicago night spots such as the Cairo Club.

I think that he had three card decks on the market - TV Magic Cards - TV Mystery Cards - And TV Miracle cards. Plus a TV Magic Card Box and many magic sets.

As a bit of trivia - Johnny Thompson wrote the first instructions for the first of the TV Magic card decks. Marshall started in magic I think at the Treasure Chest magic shop and was inspired by a performance of Jack Gwynne who was performing with his full stage illusion show that was just across the street from the Treasure Chest at the Oriental theater.

I worked for Marshall as a magic Demonstrator at the Marshall Brodien Magic Shop at Old Chicago Amusement park - Those were the days!

I hope this helps.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I actually have a Marshall Brodien magic kit I bought at my local Hobbytown store a few years ago. As far as I know, they're still making his products. Heck, I even found a "learn to draw" kit from Jon Gnagy. That guy's been dead for over 25 years!
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » TV Miracle Cards in the past (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL