The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » What Are The Odds? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Does anyone know what the odds are of predicting a number rolled on a single die? Is it 1 in 6?

What are the odds of predicting a number rolled on a single die two times in a row? Three times in a row? Four times in a row? Five times in a row?

Thanks!
Robert
M. H. Goodman
View Profile
Regular user
Dublin, Republic of Ireland
169 Posts

Profile of M. H. Goodman
The odds of predicting a number rolled on a single die are indeed 1 in 6. If the die is rolled twice, the odds of predicting the correct number on both rolls is 1 in 36 (i.e. 6 x 6). For three rolls, the odds will be 1 in 216 (i.e. 6 x 6 x 6). For N rolls, the odds will be 1 in 6 to the power of N.
Coinucopia available now at http://coinucopia.blogspot.com.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Thank you. That's what I thought, but I wanted to verify it. Appreciate it.

Robert
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
One minor pet peeve: The odds of correctly predicting a number rolled on a single die are 5 to 1. The probability is 1 in 6.

Easy Mnemonic: "Odds" and "To" both have an O as their only vowel, so you state odds as "X to Y". "Probability" and "In" both have the letter I, so you state probabilities as being "X in Y".

Here in Vegas, I've seen too many magicians try to appear as a gambling expert, only to blow their cover by stating that the odds are "X in Y", or that the probability of something is "X to Y".

Semi-related note: The other thing that gives the game away is things like stating that odds of 5 to 1 are the same as a probability of 1 in 5. Nope - odds of 5 to 1 are equal to a probability of 1 in 6.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Good info - thanks Scott!

Ron
:)
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
M. H. Goodman
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of M. H. Goodman
Good point, Scott. Thanks.
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
998 Posts

Profile of stanalger
Quote:
On 2008-10-05 01:08, Scott Cram wrote:
One minor pet peeve: The odds of correctly predicting a number rolled on a single die are 5 to 1. The probability is 1 in 6.

Scott,

The odds in favor of correctly predicting a number rolled on a single die are 1 to 5.
The odds against correctly predicting a number rolled on a single die are 5 to 1.

Are you saying "odds of" corresponds to the more familiar "odds against"
terminology? I don't think that's right. I would think "odds of" would
correspond to "odds in favor of."

Stan
M. H. Goodman
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of M. H. Goodman
Odds are normally expressed with the larger number first, so the odds of correctly predicting a number rolled on a single die are 5 to 1 against.
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Quote:
On 2008-10-05 17:51, stanalger wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-10-05 01:08, Scott Cram wrote:

Scott,

The odds in favor of correctly predicting a number rolled on a single die are 1 to 5.
The odds against correctly predicting a number rolled on a single die are 5 to 1.

Are you saying "odds of" corresponds to the more familiar "odds against"
terminology? I don't think that's right. I would think "odds of" would
correspond to "odds in favor of."

Stan

don't mess with stan Smile
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
998 Posts

Profile of stanalger
I don't know.

M. H. thinks Scott simply left off the word "against."

However, MathWorld seems to agree with Scott:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Odds.html

The MathWorld piece seems to me to have been sloppily written.
"The odds of winning are..."

But I'm not a gambler, so maybe I just don't understand gambler's
argot.

What does Scott think?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2008-10-05 19:37, M. H. Goodman wrote:
Odds are normally expressed with the larger number first, so the odds of correctly predicting a number rolled on a single die are 5 to 1 against.

Odds are normally expressed as odds against a particular event; in that case, the larger number will come first exactly when the probability of the event under question is less than 50%. An event having a probability of 75% - getting a head when tossing two fair coins, for example - would have odds of 1:3 against.

Quote:
On 2008-10-06 10:07, stanalger wrote:
I don't know.

M. H. thinks Scott simply left off the word "against."

However, MathWorld seems to agree with Scott:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Odds.html

The MathWorld piece seems to me to have been sloppily written.
"The odds of winning are..."

But I'm not a gambler, so maybe I just don't understand gambler's
argot.

What does Scott think?

As a mathematician I'd say that Mathworld's terminology is sloppy. The phrase "the odds of" should mean "the odds in favor of".
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
All of which is mostly semantic, but is important to keep distinct when doing things like trying to calculate the probability (or odds) on multiple events. For instance, for independent events, you multiply the probability of each event; the probability of rolling a 6 twice in a row is 1/6 * 1/6, or 1/36. If you sloppily conflate odds and probability, you may think that because the odds on each event are 5-1, the odds on the combination are 25-1.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1729 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Scott,

To take your pet peeve a step further, I always made this distinction, though I realize it isn't something universally agreed upon. Sticking with our dice example:

The odds are 5:1 against rolling a given number.

The chances are 1 in 6 (or 1 "out of" 6).

The probability of rolling a given number is 0.16666666667

What say you?

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Or a 16.666666667% chance.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » What Are The Odds? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL