The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Four Nightmares (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Perhaps I am missing something. Yes, its nice to gather techniques and moves from several key inventors of rope effects, package it and sell it for an overinflated price.
Is this the "new market" for magic, impress the newbies with old stuff and claim it as new?
Al started off with his comment that he wasn't impressed. Why? Because its nothing new, its just new to you.
Now, I can't understand Pete who should recognize these moves and their original authors.
These manufacturers use buzzwords, like "four nightmares" or in another thread, "optical ropes" so one would associate classic effects with the new one.
So, call it professional jealousy, but I refuse to applaud or taute plageuristic effects and routines.
And buyers, do your homework and find out that these effects are available elsewhere for a lot less money.---------
On the other hand, of course, the "old effects" are in books so they do not get the hype and sensationalism of a DVD demo. Nor the instant reference for comparison. Hen Fetch quadropelets gimmick looks to be the same as the configuration that you get with this set. Even that is currently overpriced at $29. Bojan is right.
---------
As far as the effect, its a great puzzle but its not presented magically nor is it presented with a purpose. Reminds me of a lot of Tenyo magic, amazing little tricks which take a week to learn and are over in 20 seconds. Clever stuff, but no "EV" (entertainment value).
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Ruppenthal
View Profile
Regular user
I'm busy, so I only have
104 Posts

Profile of Ruppenthal
Magicians:
As a definite newbie, you are absolutely right about getting overly impressed with a demo and not doing enough homework to discover the history of an effect, other, better ways to perform it, etc. I'm guilty as charged. Great advice that I'll take to heart. It's easy when you're starting out to get dazzled by the "latest & greatest". Thanks for the advice and the comments...
John
Mike McEathron
View Profile
Regular user
Peterborough Ontario Canada
163 Posts

Profile of Mike McEathron
My only comment is this

These " over priced" routines are / were someones bread and butter if they want to take a professor nightmare or any other effect put some very good solid patter with it and market it for 300.00 then all the power to them. In the matter of slashed you get a great solid tested routine and some very good royalty free music. Almost everything that has been "invented" these days you can find in Tarbell....... I have often said if you want to have an original trick pick Tarbell look for something no one else is doing and do it....What is old is new again ! LOL What do I know

Cheers

Mike
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2008-10-19 16:10, Mike McEathron wrote:
My only comment is this

These " over priced" routines are / were someones bread and butter if they want to take a professor nightmare or any other effect put some very good solid patter with it and market it for 300.00 then all the power to them. In the matter of slashed you get a great solid tested routine and some very good royalty free music. Almost everything that has been "invented" these days you can find in Tarbell....... I have often said if you want to have an original trick pick Tarbell look for something no one else is doing and do it....What is old is new again ! LOL What do I know

Cheers

Mike

In 35 years of inventing magic, I would like you to show me anything of mine in Tarbell or any other source. I have 22 effects that are 4 stars in Genii.
-Magic Ian
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I see a variation on Fl!p's O-pener included there. I hope he has been given credit. However, it's clever and takes a lot of the work out of acquiring the skill to perform Fl!p's O-pener. It's worth $60 to the magician who gets one and uses it well. To anyone who know's Fl!p's work, and who also knows how to gimmick his or her own ropes, there is no need to spend the $60... just watch the video a few times. Don't blame me for saying that... I didn't post the video on-line.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Tonylew
View Profile
Regular user
Tracy, CA
184 Posts

Profile of Tonylew
I guess this must be a pretty hot item. SEO wants $75 for it now and Joe Stevens is asking $87.50. I presume that implies that it moved pretty briskly at $60.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Sometimes the higherthe price means thatyou have to pay for low demand to make some money on whatever you sell.
I bought the item (second hand), and I was right as far as keeping track of ends. I have other things I do with it, I only wish that the set matched standard rope.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Please note: Stevens Magic prices are with postage to mail the item. SEO magic gets there products in Japan. Stevens Magic has to pay Customs fees for shipments from Japan. More expense, means higher prices, if you want it sent from a U.S. dealer.

The above link is not working, here is the latest web address:
http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?ma......d=113218

I agree, I do not see why all he discussion on a "so-so" rope trick. I was not overly impressed, not because I can guess the secret, but because of the poor handling and the effects that do not make much sense, and are not logical in nature of the routine.

As a silent rope effect, without the proper patter, this falls far short of entertaining magic.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I picked one of these up a few years ago at a convention from Stevens Magic booth. I don't perform it often, but when I do it goes over very well. I did it at a brunch show for the Magic Castle a couple of years ago and received several compliments on it. So it appears to be a trick that not too many people have seen. A;ways a plus. I have no difficulty keeping track of the ends and particularly like the trick because the joins are completely invisible from only a foot or two away. I've gotten my moneys worth out of he effect and almost bought a second one a couple of months goto have on hand when first one eventually wears out.
There are rope ticks I like better. But this one is fun to keep around for a change of pace.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There is only one Master Payne, who can put a presentational touch on a trick, as only he can.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
In all due respect, Just what constitutes Over-priced magic equipment?

Is it like purchasing a set of Owen's rings when you could have bought the same size set from someone else for maybe 1/10th the price? Or like paying over a thousand dollars for a Losander floating table when you can buy one from another source for a couple of hundred?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.......

My entire house is filled with "over-priced magic equipment" that I've collected all my life...

And God help me....but I love it!

<smile>
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2012-09-28 16:11, Rainboguy wrote:
In all due respect, Just what constitutes Over-priced magic equipment?

Is it like purchasing a set of Owen's rings when you could have bought the same size set from someone else for maybe 1/10th the price? Or like paying over a thousand dollars for a Losander floating table when you can buy one from another source for a couple of hundred?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.......

My entire house is filled with "over-priced magic equipment" that I've collected all my life...

And God help me....but I love it!

<smile>

If you can have a trick like and get mileage out of it, it is priceless. The makers of this fell really short originally in doing anything with this configuration. It has been the performers who have given its value. Physically, it is higher priced than lets say Quadroplets which use a similar style rope, Or linking ropes which requires a little manufacturing skill.
dragonash
View Profile
Veteran user
the sticks
380 Posts

Profile of dragonash
"Nightmares" is beautifully made (don't buy the knockoff), but I found the routine difficult to learn.

As mentioned, other effects accomplish much the same thing. "Nightmares" is a Tenyo effect and suddenly (over the past eight years) Tenyo effects have become collectible.

Unless one has to have Tenyo, the alternatives may be a better value.
RajeshLGov
View Profile
Regular user
India
149 Posts

Profile of RajeshLGov
In a way "RAINBOGUY" is right, we cannot just give the "right" value for anything not just the magic props. As far as originality is concerned that is a debatable issue too. All the Best to everyone Smile Raj.
Paul Mims
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Paul Mims
Dragonash is right. I've owned several different rope effects over the years, and Tenyo's are absolutely perfect. They are not cheap, but you will not be disappointed with the quality of their work.
aheller5
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of aheller5
I recently bought four nightmare rope trick by tenyo and read the directions.... It is super confusing. is there a video I can receive from someone to explain this routine visually? I can send you a pic for proof I own it
TY
adam
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Four Nightmares (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL