The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Daryl's Color Changing Knife Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Does anyone here have this? What do you think? How does the knife handle and have you ever had the method figured out by letting the spectators have the knives at the end?
nalu_magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Paradise
297 Posts

Profile of nalu_magic
ixnay,

I have the knives and have been performing the routine for quite some time now. I always get a great reaction from them and never have had spectators figure it out after letting them inspect the knives. These are the only set of CC knives I own so I really can't compare them (handling wise) to other sets. I've heard that Daryl's knives are a bit wider than most making the paddle move a little harder to get down. But with a few practices I'm sure it will become second nature.

I think the best thing about Daryl's knives are the routine it comes with. Great ending and you end clean. Just my 2 cents...

nalu
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi ixnay66:

I use Daryl's routine, but not his knives. No one ever has figured anything out by the knives being handed out. It's terrific to end clean like that!

I did not care for his knives though. They're well made and nice looking (plus they don't have the angle problems like other sets of knives). But...as nalu said, they are hard to handle. Too hard for me. My hands tend to sweat, and it made doing the paddle move too hard.

So, here's what I did. I already have the Whit Haydn set of knives made by Joe Mogar. For about $30.00, he'll make you a half and half knive just like Daryl's. These knives handle so much easier than Daryl's. So, I use those knives with Daryl's routine.

It's worked out very well for me...I love Daryl's routine. Short and sweet.

Ron Reid
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I didn´t find Daryls knives hard to handle at all. They are very good in my opinion.
Daryls routine is the best I have seen, but I have to say that I haven´t seen very many, just Tamariz, Skinner and Malone.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
I love his routine, but agree that his knives proper are subpar.

.... and don't get them wet, the ink coloured paper under the plastic will run ....

Actually when I get around to it I'm going to cut the blades off of the knives so I can do the paddle move the way it's meant to be done - holding the item in the middle, not oddly at the end.
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
It would be cool if someone made knives where you could put your own paper under the plastic.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Love the routine, do it always, not (with) the knives though. Indeed they are too wide to handle smoothly for me.
The idea in which the different colors are camouflaged from the sides is very cool. I wish more knife-makers would pick that up!

Just give Daryl credit by calling it the "Martinez-side-concealment" and make it standard Smile
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I have never seen Daryl's knife routine. but I have Whit Haydn's routine and it is a great routine . If you seen Bill Malone's routine then you will love Whit's as well.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Daryl's only uses 2 knives and everything can be examined at the end. It's also quick, which makes it perfect for strolling.
Franfran
View Profile
New user
Paris!
70 Posts

Profile of Franfran
I saw Daryl live in Paris during his tour.

His performance was really great but I didn't like at all this routine.

Daryl did so much better (like the boucing ball routine for example!)

Franfran la Malice Smile
Franfran's magic, the real French Touch!
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
.. to each their own.

For quick, visual, logical magic for strolling I don't think you can get much better than his knife routine.

The bounce across routine isn't bad, theres a reset to it though, I wouldnt want to do it more than once.
zauber
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of zauber
It's all a matter of choice. The knives are a bit wide and take some getting used to for the paddle move, but it doesn't take an inordinate amount of time to do this. There are no angle problems due to the flat and wide construction. The routine is clever, easy to remember and just makes sense. I like it.
"I'm still learning."
-----Michelangelo
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
I, too, have Daryl's knives. Yes, they are a bit wider than most making the paddle move a little harder to get down.

I like his routine.
bielke
View Profile
New user
Germany
57 Posts

Profile of bielke
it is a good routine, but my problem is the yellow/red knife. the idea with the fingerprint at the end is great, but the print is under the plastic!!!

no one will belive that.

pierre
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Daryl's Color Changing Knife Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL