The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » When (if at all) is it okay to copy and market a magic trick? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
What is your statute of limitations on marketing one's own version or copy of an existing magic trick?
Should the re-creator be given one year before the door is opened? Five years? Fifty? Never?
Is "Imitation the sincerest form of flattery?"
Without naming names or bashing, what is the philosophical basis for your perspective?
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
How about asking their permission?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Quote:
On 2008-10-08 20:15, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
How about asking their permission?

That makes sense.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Copy is one thing, one's own version is another.

If it is a standard routine, and you have your own routine/presentation/version....go for it.

There are also other ways of acquiring the rights to produce a certain effect.

Blair
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

So it's okay to publish the how-to of your tricks as long as using a different colored card back and maybe using a different tagline/callback for the jokes?

Hey when I saw you do those tricks you were wearing a blue tie - I'm wearing a red tie for my version so what's the problem. And check it out- green socks here so don't give me any of that copying nonsense.

And what's it to you if I put my version on YouTube so everyone can enjoy my tricks?
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
So Jonathan, just how different does an effect have to be before one can fairly publish or market it?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Here's my perspective:

If you want to expose - go ahead and publish into our open market. If you are making a work available to all and sundry via any open market - you are exposing. If you want to teach - let students find you Smile

If you really believe you have original work (vetted) that's based upon others work - just cite the originals and explain where your findings fit in the scheme of things.

And of course scripts and design work on classic items in print are likely welcome and can be shared without need of exposing anyone else's work.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » When (if at all) is it okay to copy and market a magic trick? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL