The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Original ideas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Very few rope DVD authors claim to be original, and not a lot of them give credit where its due.
I've known Daryl on and off (mostly in the 80's) and I find his rope DVD series to be the most informative. Most of the "credits" are given in the scrolled text at the end of the DVD and sometimes a comment as he teaches.
He doesn't claim originality and he is a superb teacher.
The rope "threads" on the Café have touched base on Fiber Optics, Four nightmares, Tabary and even my new rope effects. In three of the four cases, credit is not given even though over 2/3 of the effect comes from George Sands.
Most of the thrill of Fiber optics is the bold speed and a few avate garde moves, but it's still mostly Sands. (the review on the Sanders site by Doc Eason even attests to that). Tabary has a lot of derivative material, but his explanation, theory, and extreme instruction go way beyond Sands concepts. But again, narry a mention of Sands.
If this is acceptible, then I should be able to add 7 more volumes of rope effects by using material from the fore-fathers of magic without the fear of plageurism or theft. I personally acknowledge George Sands, John Cornelius, Frank Garcia, J.B. Moore, and Gene Gordon. If I use a twist of the rope from any of these sources, I state so as I do it in my lecture.
The magic buyers I have seen are just not knowledgeable or even conscious of the fact that what they are buying is someone elses brainchild.
In copyrighted written works, you must cite and list a phrase or paragraph if it is to be used within your published document. If you use a substantial portion of the work, that needs to have permission and cite the fact that you have such permission.
Video segments are also copyrighted material and no-one to date has challenged the lack of credit in the new videos and it is about time we do so.
----------
The big secret is that most company's state that their work is copyrighted but most never bother to actually buy the copyright and file it with the library of congress.
I have two of my books copyrighted in 1978 and 1980, and I am considering suing one "New Author" of stealing segments from my Steel ball and tube book.
My new DVD's are copyrighted as well (it's getting expensive to do it).
---------
Your comments, or do you care?
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
I'm curious about the copyrighting of DVDs that you're talking about. I was under the impression that published material was automatically copyrighted, but that if somebody just recreates your moves they're not subject to copyright law. It's unethical, sure, but I'm not sure how to enforce it in a court of law.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Yes, once a DVD is published, there is automatically a copyright by prior publication.
And yes, once a video or movie is offered for sale it has in essence a copyright, but it is not a "registered copyright", which carries different weight in court. The copyright office actually issues a copyright registration.

http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/e-res......7206.htm

Now, due to the nature of an instruction. Anyone can teach to someone else, the method and routine that was sold in the DVD. The DVD purchase allows perfomances. They cannot, obviously, sell reproductions of the actual DVD.

If someone claims my effect as theirs, I can point to my DVD and the registration there-of as proof that mine was first. This would not be enforceable, but would at least render public opinion, as I have done by pointing out the use of George Sands methods.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Original ideas (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL