The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Use of Magnets (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
Hi All
Can anyone please help establish an early, preferrably the original published source for using a magnet in a rear pocket as a holdout for a small magnetic object?

Many thanks

Greg
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Ren Clark was using this as early as the 1950's, and had me write it up for his biography. However, this was never published. He had some very clever ideas for this.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
Thanks Bill

I am producing a few of my own ideas and would like to include this information in a history & credits segment if that is ok with you.

I know Bob Cassidy, Victor Trabucco and Doc Eason have all developed very clever ideas and practical methods in similar areas and would be interested to learn about any others people may have seen.

Greg
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Juan Tamariz also worked on this when he developped his color changing knives routine
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I never thought of just sticking a magnet in a rear pocket. My early work along those lines was accomplished with magnets embedded in my Wizard's Robe or jacket, or in my Wizard's staff which was a good place to stash stuff.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-10-18 18:15, chappy wrote:
Thanks Bill

I am producing a few of my own ideas and would like to include this information in a history & credits segment if that is ok with you.

I know Bob Cassidy, Victor Trabucco and Doc Eason have all developed very clever ideas and practical methods in similar areas and would be interested to learn about any others people may have seen.

Greg

Sure. Basically the way Ren worked with it was this: he had a fairly decent sized magnet in his rear pocket. The one he was using during the 1980's was a ceramic type magnet that was about 1 inch X 2 inch x 1/2 inch. He had a gold wedding band that his jeweler had made for him that had a steel core. He took a piece of coathanger wire and flattened it on an anvil. Then he made the core of the ring, and had the jeweler cast the ring around it. The ring had a hammer finish and was large enough that he could remove it easily if need be. He had a small rare earth magnet that he had dipped in the kind of liquid vinyl that people made hand grips for pliers, etc., from. The small magnet was very powerful and the vinyl coating kept it from talking.

He did a number of things with this, but the simplest one was to place a shim coin in his left hand. He would wave his right hand (with the gaffed ring) over the left hand, snag the coin and close his left hand, as if the coin were still in there. He would drop his right hand to his side and let the larger magnet take the shim coin and the smaller magnet.

He would wave his right hand (now clean) over the left hand, show it empty, and let everyone be amazed. When the moment was right, he would steal the shim coin again, drop it into his left hand, and make it reappear. If anyone questioned the ring, he could place it against the coin, and there was no attraction between the coin and the ring.

Not really the greatest routine, but Ren was thinking, and that's what kept him young.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
Thanks too Lawrence.

I think the Doc Eason reference I made may be based on the Juan Tamariz idea.
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
Oh, and thank you Bill. What a fantastic place the Café is!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Cressey used to do some stuff with the magnetic marbles also.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
jmagic
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of jmagic
The answer to the original question as I know it is this:
The booklet Conjuring With Christopher published in 1949
published by Holden describes the exact method of using a magnet in the back pocket
Christopher credits Aubley Dunham of Indianoplis for the idea.

Bob McALLISTER did a lot of work with the magnet in the back pocket. Many credit him with the idea.

I developed The MOGAR POCKET PAL Magnetic Holdout to use with knives and coins back when I was in high school.
That was in 1950. I never leave home without one in each back pocket.

If you are interested, The Pocket Pal is on the website. www.joemogar.com
mkarav
View Profile
Regular user
Westwood, NJ
108 Posts

Profile of mkarav
Quote:
On Mar 15, 2014, jmagic wrote:
The answer to the original question as I know it is this:
The booklet Conjuring With Christopher published in 1949
published by Holden describes the exact method of using a magnet in the back pocket
Christopher credits Aubley Dunham of Indianoplis for the idea.

Bob McALLISTER did a lot of work with the magnet in the back pocket. Many credit him with the idea.

I developed The MOGAR POCKET PAL Magnetic Holdout to use with knives and coins back when I was in high school.
That was in 1950. I never leave home without one in each back pocket.

If you are interested, The Pocket Pal is on the website. www.joemogar.com

Thanks, I was researching holdout options for my coins. I checked the website you referenced and will call them as the website keeps asking for user name and password and I don't have one. The Pocket Pal and Belt Buddy Plus look like what I need.
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
Thanks Joe

That's good to know.
I haven't visited this part of the forum for a while and it's been a few years since I asked the question, but I was pleased to see this topic had a new reply.

Such a simple and great idea. I am surprised it isn't used more. Well, maybe it is and those folks just keep it to themselves.
Thanks again
Greg
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
389 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Worth looking at: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109

Bob McAllister was the first person I saw use a magnet in the back pocket.
He had great ideas with it.
Some of these may have been published in his books/ notes.
Great guy, creative, a real worker. I miss him.

Steve Dushek has some great ideas for magnets and coins.
I know the original post was concerning holdouts but his coin book deserves a look.
His Wunderbar should really make a comeback with all the new thread hookups out there.
Exchange the "mercury" for ferrous liquid. Play with a magnet against the liquid.
"Freeze" the liquid with magnet. Do routine.
ValeCavaliero
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of ValeCavaliero
Chappy, please, can you tell me something more about the Bob Cassidy's researches on the subject?
Thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Use of Magnets (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL