The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Relay number on business card (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I found a really cool service for me. It's an online relay service for the deaf or hard of hearing who can speak but they can't hear. I'm trying to think of how to word it on the back of my business card.

First let me tell you how it works because my goal is to tell them about all this on the card with as little words as possible.

If I want to make a call with this service I go to their website and sign in. Then I put my phone number (Can be any phone) and the phone number I want to call. The service will call my phone first. Then it'll call their phone number. Now, When I talk to them they'll hear my voice but when they talk back I'll read what they say on my computer.

Now here's the part that I need to explain on my business card. I need to tell them that the best way to contact me directly is by Email but if a phone call is required they'll have to schedule a time for me to take their call.

Once the time of the call is established I'll go to the website an sign in then hit the 'Wait for call" button on their site. So I'm waiting for them to call me.

To call me they have to dial a toll free number then when the operator asks they are to type in my phone number. The service will then call my phone and the conversation begins (They hear me, I read them).

It seems confusing but it really isn't that bad. They just call an operator and tell them to call my number.

Any suggestions on how to word this on my business card? I'm asking because most of you have never made a call like this and might know what it would take to make it easy to understand.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Hey Ron! Did you think I would NOT respond to this? I'm assuming this isn't a relay service like Sorenson. I think just wording something like "preferred contact via e-mail" then give the e-mail address. Then put "if contact via telephone is needed, contact <such and such> relay service for appropriate contact".

I would guess that the people who have your card are aware that you are (I can't ever remember) deaf or hard of hearing. If you say on the card that the telephone number is a relay service, then there shouldn't be much of a problem. I used a relay service for the first time a couple of months ago, and the operators generally ask if this is your first time using such a service, then they explain how it works and what you are to do. I think all you would have to do is just say that the phone number on the card is indeed a relay service.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I think it has to be more explanatory than that. I am aware of Ron's being deaf, and have never heard of such a service.

I think providing steps would be good, but how are they to schedule a calling time with you?
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Here's the service I'm talking about. It explains everything. What I like about it is they hear my voice instead of a relay operator. Makes the conversation feel more personal.

There is another service I've used that can turn voice messages into Emails. But I've had friends try it and they say it's a kind of annoying process. It's called i711 call me.

It's actually not a bad service. If you wanted to call me you'd call me toll free number that's given to me. They'll first check to see if I'm signed into AIM. If I am they just connect me to the phone call and use the AIM like a TTY (Meaning they talk to operator on phone, operator types to me, I type back and operator tells them what I typed).

Now if I'm not signed onto AIM when they check. They'll ask if they want to leave a voice message. If they do they'll type that voice message out and Email it to me. It's not bad and if they skipped the AIM part it would be perfect. Just plain voice message to Email. But I haven't found that yet.

If I could find that kind of service I'd just put the voice message number on my card and call them back using the other service.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had a feeling you'd pop in Margarette. Smile

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Something like this?

Email is best, but if you must reach me by phone:

1. Call 1 800 555-5555

2. If I'm available, the operator will transcribe your words. And I'll talk directly to you.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Thanks Josh. That is simple and to the point.

Man I am loving this service. What's cool is the people I call never hear an operator. It's just like a normal phone conversation. That's something I haven't been able to do on a phone in about 15 years. I just called my girlfriend and messed with her. The conversation went something like this.

Me: Hey, what's up?
Her: Who's this?
Me: The last person in the world you'd expect to hear on the phone.
Her: Ron? How the...

LOL. I love it. To all of you this won't seem like much but to me it's awesome. My next step is to order a pizza. That's something I haven't been able to do in a long time too. Smile

I'm also frustrated. It's been so long since I used a phone other then short text messages so I don't have much of a phone book. So I don't have anyone to call. I'll have to buy a little phone book now and start collecting numbers. I look forward to having a real phone conversation. So far I've only talked to people I talk to on a daily basis anyway so we didn't have much to discuss.

Look out lady's. That deaf guy is now taking phone numbers. LOL Smile

Ron Jaxon

Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Quote:
On 2008-10-20 17:46, Jaxon wrote:
Look out lady's. That deaf guy is now taking phone numbers. LOL Smile

....well, I know that I, for one, would love to be able to talk with you!! Smile

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Relay number on business card (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL