The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Wireless headset (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chris lightning
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of chris lightning
I apologize if something about this headset has been posted. I could not find it.

I am looking to pick up the Sennheiser ew152G2 Evolution G2 100 Series UHF Wireless Headset.
(as seen here)
http://www.zzounds.com/item--SENEW152G2

I will be using it with my Fender PD-250. Does anyone use this mic? Would you recommend this or another in this price range? (I'm willing to spend about $500).

Thanks.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
If that's the cardioid microphone it is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just didn't see that mentioned on the webpage.

I do not think you can beat that combo in the price range.

Very durable. Everything is metal. Sounds great. Works great. Easy to set up.
Just turn on both units and you're ready to go.

If it is the cardioid mic, you can use it right in front of speakers with no feedback within reason. The mic sounds great and is very loud. I consider that mic a necessity.

GREAT setup! You can't go wrong.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
euroillusion
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of euroillusion
Yes - it is a great mike.

The G2 features multiple frequencies that you can scan before the show. It also has a secondary pilot tone basically does not allow any interference from another device even if that device is on the same frequency as yours.

You cannot beat it for the price. It is a decent mid-range pro mike.
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
820 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
I have this microphone headset, after I get others and try, this is the best!!!!!!!

Paulo
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Quote:
On 2008-10-26 00:38, euroillusion wrote:
It also has a secondary pilot tone basically does not allow any interference from another device even if that device is on the same frequency as yours.

That's an excellent point, about the "pilot tone", euroillusion, but just to be clear, it doesn't prevent interference.

Think of the "pilot tone" concept like this (also known as "tone-coded squelch").
A wireless mi transmitter transmits its audio on only one frequency. Your receiver's job is to receive on that particular frequency. At any given moment, that receiver is capable of picking up only one thing at a time, and if the receiver recognizes more than one signal on that frequency at the same time, the receiver will choose the stronger of the two. If that stronger signal happen to be stronger than your own mic's transmitter, then, not only will your transmitter fail to be heard, but the sound of the stronger transmitter will be amplified through your PA. Hence, the old cliche of a taxi or airplane being heard through a PA.

A way around a portion of this problem is with the use of a "pilot tone". A pilot tone is a secondary wireless frequency that carries what you can think of as a "key", as in "something that opens a lock". That secondary frequency does not carry audio ... For the time being, think of it as carrying only the key.

Now, if the receiver recognizes two signals on the chosen frequency at the same time, it will [/b]STILL[/b] choose the stronger of the two, even with the introduction of a pilot tone, and that stronger signal could still be THE UNWANTED SIGNAL[/[b]! There's no way around that.

At this point you must be asking yourself why we would bother with the pilot tone. Well, let's say your transmitter & receiver operate with a pilot tone, and that the "other" signal(s) do [b]NOT
carry the pilot tone. As I said, this has no bearing on which signal "wins" in terms of signal strength. If the "other" signal is more powerful than that of your own transmitter, then it will be the one that your receiver recognizes. Since that other transmitter(s) doesn't carry the pilot/key, it's audio will not be heard through your system. You see, the pilot acts as a "key", unlocking the receiver's audio output. No key, no audio output.

So, to wrap up. The receiver will select the strongest signal on its selected frequency. If that strongest signal also carries the "key" (pilot tone), then that transmitter's audio will be heard. If the strongest signal does NOT carry the "key" (pilot tone), then that transmitter's audio will NOT be heard.

A pilot tone can not prevent, or even reduce" interference, but it can prevent unwanted sounds.

If anything is unclear, let me know.
Cheers from Toronto!
Dan McLean Jr
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Wireless headset (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL