The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Botania (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Hi,I will be conducting a wedding for my first time and I am wondering how I can use Botania as an illustrated sermonette.Any ideas? I was thinking that marriage is like a garden that needs seeds and watering and weeding etc...
I would need help to put this together as I have not conducted a wedding before and I wanted a visual and magical surprise for the couple and family.
Thanks!!!
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I don't mean to come off as negative, but I can't imagine a use for a botania in a serious wedding ceremony, unless it is at the reception. I think that a more appropriate use of "floral magic" might involve the use of a single rose, or something similar.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Dun worry,it's not during the serious part of the ceremony! Thanks for viewing your concern.
Visit my website
Kif Anderson
View Profile
FCM forum Staff
1961 - 2012
386 Posts

Profile of Kif Anderson
I've got to tell you...this is an interesting question. And since it is about something blooming...it seem logical to have the message be about making it bloom. And since the bloom would represent this marriage...I guess I'd do/say something like...

Start by showing the tube empty saying that a marriage can be an empty thing, if you don't fill it properly. It takes two committed people, working as one (have an plastic egg or perhaps a heart that is in two piece and snap them together...but that isn't enough. It also needs Jesus. (reopen the egg/heart and place a silk with a picture of Jesus on it)

The Bible teaches us in Ephesians 5:21 that a husband and wife are to submit in love to one another. It explains in the verses that follow that a wife is to submit to he husband as unto the Lord. And a husband is to love his wife as Christ loved the church. There is not emptiness or selfishness in either of those statements.
Sadly too many marriages don't let Christ be their model. And that is why so many fail.

However, when one does as I pray the couple standing before me will, (place object into the tube of the botania) with time and nurturing it will be a beautiful display (lift cover) for all to see and desire...

Something like that perhaps...that's just off the top of my head. It is all driving by the message you are trying to make. Hope that helps your creative process.

And all the best to you when you do this.

><> J
Kif
We are not cisterns made for hoarding, we are channels made for sharing. - Billy Graham
<BR>
<BR>Sharing the gospel with Comedy & Illusion www.ozandwilde.com
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2008-10-29 00:42, maps wrote:
Hi,I will be conducting a wedding for my first time and I am wondering how I can use Botania as an illustrated sermonette.Any ideas? I was thinking that marriage is like a garden that needs seeds and watering and weeding etc...
I would need help to put this together as I have not conducted a wedding before and I wanted a visual and magical surprise for the couple and family.
Thanks!!!

As someone who has officiated numerous weddings, I caution you not to "surprise" the couple if presenting this without their prior knowledge is what you mean by using the word "surprise."

My advice is to be sure to talk your idea over with them if you weren't planning to. The bride in particular may not appreciate being upstaged with a magic trick. And if she's not happy, the groom won't be happy.

Just my 2 cents!

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I concur with Terry (of course I would...lol) I am a Senior pastor, and I would never consider doing something like that during the wedding unless they asked you to do that. If they ask, that's a whole new ball game, but if they didn't, I would let the idea go and not even bring it up. It's about there time, not about your skills.

Just another 2 cents worth.
Gene "Oz" Oswald
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of Gene
I agree, make sure that the couple and the parents are comfortable with this... I performed a wedding service of two of my puppet team members... they love puppets... but,
they had ONE rule.... no puppets or tricks...
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
I agree. I think sometimes perhaps it is time to put the magic away for a more appropriate time.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
The Pastor goes to begin the ceremony by opening his book. Instantly tall flames shoot out of the book! "Oops, wrong book, that was for my sermon on Sunday."

The Bride is standing there, shocked with a million things going through her mind, including questions about forgiveness. An insanity defense would be plausible considering this IS her wedding...

"Do you have the ring? Oh yes, how beautiful. A ring is a symbol of...(ZIIIIP!) oh dear it's gone!", the Pastor Smiles. "Over on that table, in full view the whole time is a bowl of fruit, please go pick one and bring it to me. Yes, thank you. Let me cut open the fruit, I just happen to have this odd-looking dinner knife with me. And TA-DAH! There is your ring inside the orange."

"But it's all STICKY," mumbles the bride who is now burning holes in the Pastor with her eyes.

"Place the ring on her finger." The Groom quickly wipes down the ring and places it on her finger....

"I know pronounce you husband and wife, you may kiss the bride," pronounces the Pastor with a grin forming on his face. The groom lifts up the veil and stuck to the bride's forehead is the Jack of diamonds. The Pastor blurts out, "IS THIS YOUR CARD?"
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Clifford!

:rotf:

You guys have been great... be sure to tip your waiter!
FUUUUUHHH....NEEEEEEE!
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
And the card is the two of hearts....
He misses the trick.
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Lol!!! Maybe I should try that instead Clifford.That way,I won't have to marry in the future.Is there another routine so that I dun hafta bury?
Visit my website
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
Just one more thing. As a pastor, I too have done many weddings. For your first wedding, you don't want to have to focus on anything other than helping the wedding ceremony to go off extremely smoothly. I wouldn't think of doing anything out of the ordinary for your first wedding ceremony.

Just a thought.

Lou
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2008-12-20 22:06, illusions & reality wrote:
I wouldn't think of doing anything out of the ordinary for your first wedding ceremony.

Lou

But you might do someething out of the ordinary for your last wedding ceremony!

By the way, has the ceremony taken place yet? And if so, what ended up happening?

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Sorry I didn't see the post Terry,The wedding went fine.I heeded the advise given here and didn't the botania.
I was so nervous,I forgot all about the wedding vows! anyway,I managed to cover up.What an experience.
Visit my website
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Botania (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL