The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Morgan dollar prices (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
How much are Morgan slicks running in your guy's neck of the woods. The closest place around here wants $23 a coin for a slick. I need 3, but this seems a little steep to me.
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
Its been over a year since I bought any but that seems high. Current melt value for a morgan is about $10.00 so you should be able to find some for around $15.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
It seems I paid about 12 bucks a year ago!
allen_m
View Profile
Veteran user
Alpine, TX
349 Posts

Profile of allen_m
I think I paid around $22 around 3 months ago...

-A
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Paid $11 a piece for four Morgan slicks last year. It's amazing what we pay to do that "3...whatever" effect.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Jared Cassidy
View Profile
New user
Huntsville, AL
37 Posts

Profile of Jared Cassidy
I attended a coin show earlier this month and found a couple of dealers selling circulated Morgans from $16 to $20.

Jared
solareflipz
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Fl
308 Posts

Profile of solareflipz
Average around here is 12-15.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Prices seem a bit higher than the average here in San Francisco. Glad I mostly have all the coins I need.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
coinguy
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of coinguy
I am sure you will be able to find them cheaper if you look hard enough.
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
I just got some for $12. Call around to coin shops in your area. Let them know you don't want quality coins.

Good luck.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
A couple of months ago I asked a rep at a coin shop how much are his silver dollars. He told me $18. I said, "For a silver dollar?" He told me yes. I said, "A silver dollar is $18?" He told me yes as he was reaching for them. I said, "Oh, I mean the regular silver dollars." He replied by saying, "Einstein?" I told him that's the one. They were only $1.50. I bought ten of them.
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Hehe. That was funny Dynamike. Glad to know everybody is finding what they need. I know Barber half dollars on ebay are dirt cheap! Those are what I use since silver dollars are a bit big for my hands and I can't do my ritual sleights with them.
coinguy
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of coinguy
I bought some Eisenhowers, I can do all of my sleights with them, but my angles decrease drastically with them. Maybe in a few months I will invest in a nice Morgan set, but at the moment, it makes absolutely no difference to me. Best of luck finding the coins you need.
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Hey coinguy, How are the Ikes? I have been eager to get some but nobody I know really has them. I don't like coins with the grip edges. Can you send me a PM and maybe we can talk about them?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-11-02 20:00, Dynamike wrote:
A couple of months ago I asked a rep at a coin shop how much are his silver dollars. He told me $18. I said, "For a silver dollar?" He told me yes. I said, "A silver dollar is $18?" He told me yes as he was reaching for them. I said, "Oh, I mean the regular silver dollars." He replied by saying, "Einstein?" I told him that's the one. They were only $1.50. I bought ten of them.

My bad, I meant "Eisenhowers," not "Einstein." I guess it is time I should start reviewing the chart of USA Presidents. Smile
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
Quote:
On 2008-11-02 21:51, MarkTirone wrote:
Hey coinguy, How are the Ikes? I have been eager to get some but nobody I know really has them. I don't like coins with the grip edges. Can you send me a PM and maybe we can talk about them?

The Ikes are ok, They're clad coins and you can't find them in soft and work condition. They don't ring like a real silver dollar. Johnson makes shells for them.
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Oh. I would never really want them in soft because there is no real detain in them really. The Barber's have a lot of edges and grooves in them so they are better soft. But these are really basic. How are there edges?
coinguy
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of coinguy
Ike's are really nice, and they don't dent as much as silver. They have a really nice weight to them and great edges. They are really shiny even though they are not pure silver. The depiction of Eisenhower is a bit unnatractive, but the tails is phenomonal. If you are looking for some cheaper coins, these are AMAZING.
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
If you are looking for Ike dollars check your local banks before going to a coin shop. I used to work as a cashier and would get the odd silver dollar now and again, so some banks might have a couple on hand.
Jared Cassidy
View Profile
New user
Huntsville, AL
37 Posts

Profile of Jared Cassidy
Circulated Ikes at a coin shop should only run about $1.50-$2.00 each, so they are rather economical. The 1976 Bicentennial Ikes have a different reverse than the other years.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Morgan dollar prices (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL