The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » My New and Improved Cups and Balls Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Uriel,

I commented on youtube, on your routine. I have little to add to the comments given here. You have a sequence you can call your own. That alone would please this old man. You've practiced mightily, we can all see that.

I too struggle with saying too many words. Write a script. Put it on cue cards and have a family member change them for you. Alternatively, there are many teleprompter programs you can download from the internet.

Please keep us posted. I, for one, expect great things from you!

I was joyous to see a magician wear a kippah!

KG
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Uriel:

Here's a hint. Record your script. Then practice along with the recording. By the time you have done it about 2 dozen times, it will be very smooth. By 100 performances, it will be as slick as deer guts on a doorknob.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Deer guts on a doorknob? Yuck! I just recently did production of Godot which is massive lines and that's how I learned'em. Recorded every word. It works!

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I did the same thing with Taming of the Shrew.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

MagicByUriel
View Profile
Veteran user
Johnathan Townsend has a lot more than
358 Posts

Profile of MagicByUriel
Thank you Thomas for that very informative post!

And thanks to anyone else who took the time out to watch my routine and give me all the valuable advice.
"Magic is the only art that the audience wants the performer to screw up" - Daniel Garcia
MiketheMagicDude
View Profile
Loyal user
CT
270 Posts

Profile of MiketheMagicDude
I may be being crass here...
but what exactly is new and improved about this?

this is about as generic a c&b routine as they come.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Mike,

Yup, you're being crass. It's OK though!

Uriel himself says,

"I just meant my routine is a pretty basic routine with nothing really unseen or amazing."

He's doing a sequence he found, on his own. The moves may seem generic to you. I think many magicians become jaded. It is easy to be jaded about tricks like the cups and balls. Tricks that have volumes of material written about them are especially difficult to come up with truly original material.

Uriel showed up here, asking for advice. Some darned knowledgeable guys gave him solid feedback. This is good stuff.

Originality is great, rare but great. Solid, well-rehearsed material will kick originality square in the arse 9 times out of 10.

Uriel is probably still in his teens. He posted a routine comprised of elements he probably learned, on his own, with the help of videos and books. This, in the days of magicians, his age, posting youtube videos of pure unadulterated crud magic, is itself noteworthy.

So . . . new and improved, his routine is not.

Relegating his efforts to being, "about a generic c&b routine as they come" was a little crass.

I like crass. I just think Uriel deserved exactly what he got here: Some honest feedback. I, for one, liked what I saw very much. I see promise!
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2008-11-05 01:53, MiketheMagicDude wrote:
I may be being crass here...
but what exactly is new and improved about this?

this is about as generic a c&b routine as they come.

This is Uriel's second video attempt. It may not be "new" to you, but it's definitely "improved" for him.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Mike:

You came in "in the middle of the movie." Maybe Uriel will send you a link to his first routine.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I am new to C&B and reading all the replies to this post is scaring me off.

Patter is a rather difficult thing for me because of my deafness, therefore it is going to take a lot of time for me to find something that works.

It would help me a lot if I knew what other C&Ballers were saying, this would give me helpful ideas to create my own patter. I feel like I am sitting in the darkness without knowing what is going on.

Oh well life goes on.
Have fun folks!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That must be difficult. On the other hand, there is nothing that says you can't perform it silently. Teller did in his original Renaissance festival act.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Tommy Wonder had a beautiful (silent-to-music)- though brief - C&B-type routine that sometimes
preceded his Orange, Lemon, Egg and Canary performances. While not a complete C&B by any means,
it might be a great piece from which to draw inspiration.

Tommy Wonder

And here is another favorite silent-to-music C&B from Jason Latimer:

Jason Latimer

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Arthur Trace has created a routine with bells and clappers where the "sound" moves as well as the balls. He frames it as a psychological ploy to mess with our senses, and as such he wears ear muffs to protect himself from being deceived.

I can imagine something similar (not too similar, after all it is his routine) maybe where the audience is similarly misdirected by noises they hear that you don't.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
TW... nice to see you back posting...
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
MagicByUriel
View Profile
Veteran user
Johnathan Townsend has a lot more than
358 Posts

Profile of MagicByUriel
To MiketheMagicDude, as Dave said this is my second video of my routine that I put together. The first one can be found here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQl9gT4R2BI

And to Kent, that you for those words of encouragement...
"Magic is the only art that the audience wants the performer to screw up" - Daniel Garcia
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » My New and Improved Cups and Balls Routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL