The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Paper bag over head trick... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
Hey, everyone. I'm looking for a trick where the magician places a large paper bag over their head, and then collapses the bag, (thus vanishing the head).

Does anyone know what this is called?
Darth Ewok
View Profile
Loyal user
Greeneville TN
228 Posts

Profile of Darth Ewok
I saw Mac King do it on one of the world's greatest magic specials. I think the 1st one. not sure if its his or not, but never seen it anywhere else.
my real name is Kevin Harrison

http://www.myspace.com/magicalclerk
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
It is his.

Its based off of an old clown gag and he turned it into a magic trick.

Its his.
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
Mclary211
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Mclary211
It is in his book: Tricks with Your Head: Hilarious Magic Tricks and Stunts to Disgust and Delight if you were looking for it in print.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
I think that the Detriot Lions fans have perfected this trick throughout the years of watching the worst team in pro football.
Mclary211
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Mclary211
LOl BYUDAD!!! I think you are correct.
Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Thanks, guys! Much appreciated.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you want to perform this in your own show, you should get permission from Mac King to use it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
If he's selling the method in a book, isn't that permission to use it unless it states otherwise?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
He may have reserved television rights to it. Tommy Windsor used to sell his stuff but no one could do it within 50 miles of him.

It is a good effect but I don't want to be know as the guy that does the Mac King trick. Besides, I have too much respect for Mac to horn in on his territory.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Magic Tricks With your head - Mac King
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I agree Richard...though most people probably do not know who Mac is, but that is one of his trademark pieces...a matter of fact I wanted to do aerial fishing, but didn't want to do it the way Mac did, that would have been wrong for me to steal the routine, so I came up with my own routine for an opener and it blew the audience away.
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
It is in his book so I don't think it is stealing but try to present it different.
It is kind of tricky to pull off convincing such as he does and I have seen it done REALLY bad.

"It is a good effect but I don't want to be know as the guy that does the Mac King trick."

Pretty much magicians know mac king.

As far as aerial fishing that is a GREAT routine. Whats the history on that effect, who first did it, what sources is it written up in, who currently does it besides mac, etc?
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have written a lot on the history of the aerial fishing. It goes back to Ching Ling Soo and before.

I have sold units to several working pros who are adding it to their acts. Alan Shaxon does a very good job of it.

I think that laymen also know Mac from his WGM appearances and the Burger King stuff.
Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Hmmm...yes, I definitely understand the ethical questions being raised here. Well, first of all, I don't know if this is even something I would be able to do in the first place, or if it would even work in my show. I've seen probably three or four magicians perform this piece (including Mac King, whose performance is by far the best), and I'm mostly just curious about the effect more than anything.

I really appreciate all the feedback, guys. But this does raise a broader question here. As magicians, we borrow / regurgitate / steal material (whatever you wanna call it) all the time. So, where do we as performers draw the line?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Draw the line where you believe it is ethical and honest.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Well, I certainly have several pieces in my show that are much older than me (doesn't take much). If it's a piece like "Cut and Restored Rope" or a straightjacket escape or a spirit cabinet or something like that, I tend to preface it with, "And now I'd like to show you a classic of magic" or some such.

But this is something different because this is apparently a trade mark piece of a PARTICULAR PERFORMER. If I, or anyone else for that matter, did a trick like this in our show, it would be hard to say, "And now I'd like to show you one of Mac King's signature pieces. He's this really great guy in Vegas, and you should go check out his show because, man...does he perform this a hell of a lot better than I'm about to!"

(This goes for any piece, mind you. I'm just using the Mac King bag trick since it's the current piece in question. I mean, if I were to ever consider doing an effect like this one, I would want to write my own patter, change the presentation, etc. But can you...CITE a magic trick??? Or just not do it altogether...?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Paper bag over head trick... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL