The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Certification? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
Is it worth becoming a certified member of the NGH? Is there a way to do that through distance learning?
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
I supposed it depends upon what you mean by "worth."

They do offer a distance learning course, taught by Don Mottin. I believe it's a year-long course.

However, it's much cheaper to take a "weekend wonder" course. The NGH accepts some of those as adequate for certification.

I guess the real question is why you wish to be certified. I don't think you'll get more shows as a result of being certified. You will have access to the NGH library and discounted prices on some materials. You'll also get their magazine and announcements for trainings and conventions. If those things are valuable to you, then being certified by the NGH would be of value. If you also intend to do hypnotherapy, certification by groups such as the NGH and the ABH is valuable.

Why do you want to be certified? What value do you think it will have to you?

Full disclosure: I am certified by the NGH as a clinical hypnotherapist, by the ABH as a clinical hypnotherapist and hypnotherapy trainer, and AIP as a clinical hypnotherapist and master hypnotherapist.
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
What do you want to do?
I think learning clinical hypnosis is great for stage hypnotists, it gives them a foundation and will teach them a lot about the psychology of hypnosis. http://www.HypnotherapyBoard.org is an affordable option for homestudy and live classes. Ful disclosure: I teach it, but I am also a licensed mental health professional, so it is quite comprehensive and accurate.
Dr. Richard Nongard, Professional Hypnosis Training
Learn how to master the art of SpeedTrance, Clinical and Stage Hypnosis
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Send £200 through pay pal and I will certify you.

Out of curiosity Richard what does a licensed mental health professional mean?
Marc Savard
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, Nevada
72 Posts

Profile of Marc Savard
I personally am not a fan of distance learning because there are so many little nuances about hypnosis that only learning in a live setting can bring.

I agree with Richard that being certified gives you the foundation to deal with any abreactions that might arise from a stage show. So, I think that all stage hypnotists should have hypnotherapy training. I do think that it ads to your credibility, especially when you are a younger hypnotist. I do believe that it can increase your income, not necessarily from being booked at higher prices, but from back of the room sales. CD's, books, etc.

I understand that there are some better video courses than others, and even though I am not a fan of them, I am sure one day I will sell out and make my own. Lol. I am sure they are profitable. Haha. (How's that for honesty?)

Marc
Marc Savard

www.marcsavard.com
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
I agree with Richard and Marc, however I would say that it is not the certification per se that is important, rather it is the training. It is in-person training that gives you the "little nuances" that books or video courses can never supply. When an expert is observing you, he or she can correct tiny errors in voice or action that be the difference between easy success or prolonged failure. You can never get this from a book or video.

I regret to say that I have attended some advanced trainings where people who are certified--sometimes with multiple certifications--aren't capable of the most elementary practices. Luckily, I don't think they'll ever actually go into public practice and are more of what I call "training junkies" who just want to attend trainings rather than people who are going to use what they have learned.

It's the training, not the certification that is valuable. The certification merely shows that you have the training, not that you got anything from the training. Some certifications require a certainly level of practice as well as training. They may be of more value. Actually, the certifications have value to hypnotherapists as they can impress clients and lead to ease in induction and acceptance of suggestions--but you'll learn about that in your first in-person training.

That being said, I find books and videos (and audios) incredibly valuable to accompany in-person training. They can add information to what already have learned.

MP, a "licensed mental health professional" is a person who has gone through a specific course of study and is licensed by a governmental authority to perform certain practices within a limited scope based on the license. Thus, in some areas, to be a licensed mental health professional requires an M.A. in psychology from an accredited college or university and paying for the license from the government. Interestingly, a licensed mental health professional may, by law, be able to legally do less, and be more financially responsible, than an unlicensed hypnotherapist.

As a result of spending hundreds of hours in training, many licensed mental health professionals resent hypnotherapists as just about anyone can put out a hypnosis shingle and get to work. Similarly, many hypnotherapists mock licensed mental health professionals for needing many months to achieve what they can get to in a few sessions. IMO we should be working together for the benefit of the client/patient rather than defending our pocketbooks. Do a good job and you will succeed.

Of course, that has little to do with stage hypnosis other than to say this: some hypnotherapists use stage shows as publicity for their hypnotherapy business.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
I agree with Richard and Marc, however I would say that it is not the certification per se that is important, rather it is the training. It is in-person training that gives you the "little nuances" that books or video courses can never supply. When an expert is observing you, he or she can correct tiny errors in voice or action that be the difference between easy success or prolonged failure. You can never get this from a book or video.

I regret to say that I have attended some advanced trainings where people who are certified--sometimes with multiple certifications--aren't capable of the most elementary practices. Luckily, I don't think they'll ever actually go into public practice and are more of what I call "training junkies" who just want to attend trainings rather than people who are going to use what they have learned.

It's the training, not the certification that is valuable. The certification merely shows that you have the training, not that you got anything from the training. Some certifications require a certainly level of practice as well as training. They may be of more value. Actually, the certifications have value to hypnotherapists as they can impress clients and lead to ease in induction and acceptance of suggestions--but you'll learn about that in your first in-person training.

That being said, I find books and videos (and audios) incredibly valuable to accompany in-person training. They can add information to what already have learned.

MP, a "licensed mental health professional" is a person who has gone through a specific course of study and is licensed by a governmental authority to perform certain practices within a limited scope based on the license. Thus, in some areas, to be a licensed mental health professional requires an M.A. in psychology from an accredited college or university and paying for the license from the government. Interestingly, a licensed mental health professional may, by law, be able to legally do less, and be more financially responsible, than an unlicensed hypnotherapist.

As a result of spending hundreds of hours in training, many licensed mental health professionals resent hypnotherapists as just about anyone can put out a hypnosis shingle and get to work. Similarly, many hypnotherapists mock licensed mental health professionals for needing many months to achieve what they can get to in a few sessions. IMO we should be working together for the benefit of the client/patient rather than defending our pocketbooks. Do a good job and you will succeed.

Of course, that has little to do with stage hypnosis other than to say this: some hypnotherapists use stage shows as publicity for their hypnotherapy business.
Marc Savard
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, Nevada
72 Posts

Profile of Marc Savard
I can agree with all that you posted, dmkraig. Well said.

Marc
Marc Savard

www.marcsavard.com
briandavidphillips
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of briandavidphillips
Any certification is only as good as what you get out of it. Certification from groups like the NGH or others is not a legal status. Certification via the "unlicensed" organizations is basically membership in a club. The requirements for that membership may vary but really doesn't have any legal status beyond that. However, it does say you passed whatever the qualifications are for that membership.

I would strongly recommend live training but make certain that it's with someone who has a reputation for demonstrations and guided practice. I have met a number of trainers whose courses are actually worse than just reading a book and practicing on your own. Live training with a skilled instructor is the best route . . . but caveat emptor when finding one.

Having said that, the SET has a distance certification option based upon skill demonstration (see http://www.trancesociety.org for the details).

All the best,
Brian
Hypnosis DVD Courses
http://www.briandavidphillips.com

Brian David Phillips brian@briandavidphillips.com
Hypnotist, Trance Wizard, Intuitionist
Keelung, Taiwan
http://www.briandavidphillips.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Certification? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL