The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Act 2000 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I've got my ACT 2000 database customised nicely with my own fields and my own custom layout. However, I would like to have ACT alert me to send out a letter 9 to 10 months after I did a customer's last show in order that they may book me the following year. I don't know how to make ACT do this. Anyone know? Much thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Jim -

I use ACT!2000. Here's how you do that.

Go to the "Contact" tab at the top, and click it.

Then from that menu, click on "Create / Edit Activity Series." (You want to create one.)

Follow the series set up, and have it remind you to do a mailing 270 days after a certain date. For each time you set up the contact record for that customer, or put in your notes about the booking, you will have to remember to "Schedule Activity Series" with that customer, for that series.

It will not schedule it automatically. But you can set it and forget it.

I just have to remember to schedule it (that can be set up at any time, it doesn't have to be actually done on the day the show happens). I have learned the habit of scheduling the series, when I am also making a special note about the show.

When scheduling a series with a customer, I choose the start date as the same date as their show date. I have created a series of follow up activities I do with a customer, commencing on their show date. (1) Gift to customer at the show, (2) thank you card mailed one day later, (3) follow-up call two days later, and (4) reference and referral letter sent seven days later. Reminders pop up to remind me to do them.

You can do a schedule activity (or series of activities) leading up to a certain date (a due date), or going away from a certain date (a start date).

For the activity series I mentioned earlier, I could easily add in a 5th item, which is a reminder to contact them 270 days (9 months) after the event. Or that reminder could be it's own reminder / series I set up.

It will appear on my calendar for that day, etc.

---------------------

Alternatively to all I mapped out above, you can simply schedule a single meeting, call, to-do, from that same "Contact" menu, not using the "Series" function. Just use the "Schedule Call", "Schedule Meeting", or the "Schedule To-Do" function.

- Donald

P.S. I should be do a lecture on this some time. Smile
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Donald,
If you do, let me know. You have always been a great help to me! I am grateful.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
You're welcome.

- Donald
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Too bad Act doesn't do this in a more automated way. I was hoping that I could format a field so that when I entered a date into that field it would automatically set the "alarm" to alert me 10 months later. I wonder if there is a macro language in ACT that could do this?

Jim
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Jim -

Once the activity series are set up, most of the work is done.

When at a specific contact, "schedule" an activity series with them, for the date you want the series to start (like I said, for me I choose the show date).

Then, later on when the right time hits, the reminders pop up. You can set alarms on them, etc.

I see it as fairly simple, but if it seems complex to you Jim, feel free to give me a call and I'll talk you through it.

- Donald
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
I have used act for years and what I do is simply create a to do and set the alarm. I do this when I send the thank you letter, the reminder note also tells me to set follow up date.

Gil
MiketheMagicDude
View Profile
Loyal user
CT
270 Posts

Profile of MiketheMagicDude
Why are you guys using software that is almost 10 years old? That is considered vintage. I know it may still work but don't you think its time for an upgrade?
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Mike,
How does the newer versions of ACT address the issue we are discussing? Does it make it easier / more automated to set an alert from a given date? That would be a good reason to update. Thanks.

Jim
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
So Mike, which data base do you use? Suggest?

I hear the current versions of ACT with Vista are pretty good, and better than the versions between 2000 and now.

Blair
Kevin Viner
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, CA
203 Posts

Profile of Kevin Viner
The current ACT version is great. 2005, 2006, and 2007 all were pretty bad, but they finally seem to have fixed some performance issues.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
As Kevin mentioned, for a while there, problems existed with the newer versions. So that was a good enough reason to avoid the upgrades.

Also, if it is working as is, why upgrade?

- Donald
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Act 2000 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL