The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » No worries of "exposure" in Hypnotism... Thank goodness! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
In lieu of all the Magic exposure happening with The Masked Magician Shows and the stuff on the Net, thank goodness that Hypnotism has nothing to be "exposed"!

Even when you tell people it's hypnotism, they don't believe you sometimes! When I do the pendulum suggestion, they think it's magnets somewhere!

On that note, any Hypnotist here able enough to Hypnotise the masses into selective amnesia thus forgetting the Magic exposure?

Smile

Posted: Dec 1, 2008 11:13am
Isn't it great! Maybe I should just go be a Hypnotist and keep the Magic thing as back up?

Hmm...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You thin hypnosis is not suffering from "exposure" of sorts? Think again.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Clue me in on it please, Dannydoyle...

If a Hypnotist says he's gonna hypnotise and he does hypnotise, what is there to "expose"?

Provided that he really hypnotises the volunteers, of course...

What I mean is simply that, Hypnosis IS Hypnosis.

Now, WHAT is Hypnosis? That's a whole can of worms that I don't want to open here. I've seen the threads. Smile

Really though, what is there to "expose"?

A sincere question, really...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
How about the sale of hypnosis shows as almost a "get rich quick" scheme? Think that hurts?

How about it being sold and packaged the way it is now? Think that hurts?

I think this is actually WORSE for hypnosis that the MM is for magic.

Sure when it comes to it hypnosis is a lot like juggleing, where it is all just right out there for people to see. So sure no "exposure" of the sort you are worried over.

But I think it can be worse.

Posted: Dec 1, 2008 11:42am
I also have no intent of "what is hypnosis" being the topic.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I see...

Your concerns in those areas are founded, I must agree...

However, I would call those more "misuses" of Hypnotism, not "exposure"... If anything, that's Covert Hypnosis, meaning, they actually "hide" the fact that they're using Hypnosis to "fool" people.

I think that it would actually greatly benefit most people to be exposed to Hypnotism, especially those who really believe that the occult, pseudo scientific and paranormal effects out there are "real"...

Take Pendulum Effect as an example...

But I do see your point.

Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Actually no, I think you missed the point completly, but no biggie.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Ok... Smile
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Danny's point was all the training of new hypnotists who think they will jump from mentalism and magic and that will make them rich. If you couldn't get booked doing magic or mentalism nothing will change when you become a hypnotist.

Danny's point was that Hypnosis is being overexposed in that too many are hawking training and how easy and lucrative Hypnosis Shows can be. More slices of pie the less everyone gets. The only good thing is that people are lazy and have shallow attention spans. These people chase fads and spend lots of money and do nothing. If you don't believe me just check out how many Dave Del Dotto or Conant Nightingale products in new unopened condition are sold on ebay.

It is one thing to get sucked up into the training and greed frenzy and it is something quite different to get up on that stage by yourself and actually do it.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Martin makes the best counter point. And a darn good one I hasten to add, about unopened products, and fad chasing.

I think magic in "general", not just hypnosis suffers more from this affliction than any "exposure specials".

They sell "dreams" and don't care much for truth in them. How many things are sold as "Easy to do", "No skill required" and the oh so many catch phrases which have unsuspecting magic hopefulls empty their pockets at every given chance.

I think it is a sad industry which chooses to prey on this sort of thing.

Actually many of the "courses" I have seen in hypnosis do NOT sell dreams but rather DO tell of the hard work needed to accomplish it. Many sell the methods that if employed WILL result in the booking of shows.

I disagree though with the slices of a pie theory. What another makes, has absoltly no berring on my income level one way or the other. I sell on a different basis than price. I have a history, so it does not matter. Starting out this may be true though.

Martin also makes the wonderful point that if you didn't get booked as a magician, becoming a hypnotist is just one more thing you won't be booked at.

You CAN find the right courses though. They are out there. I recomend none and I will not bash any either but look close and you CAN find some which have merit.

It just seems as if hypnosis is sold more as a 'get rich quick' scheme than is magic.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
Yes and people can click the banner at at the top to find courses with merit. And no, I have NEVER told anyone they would get rich, make money or be able to do anything with hypnosis, other than hypnotize people correctly...
Dr. Richard Nongard, Professional Hypnosis Training
Learn how to master the art of SpeedTrance, Clinical and Stage Hypnosis
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I see..

Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Actually I believe Richard tends to stress that it is tough work, that I once recall him posting that everyone should strive to make the show more "unique" and keep advancing the ball forward.

Oh and by the way, I agree wholeheartedly with him. You can find MANY courses with merit at that banner. Not only his, but a few others as well. That place does not see dreams and does not promise riches.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
AaronishMagic
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of AaronishMagic
Why worry they expose secrets? They can never be entertaining using the secret anyway.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » No worries of "exposure" in Hypnotism... Thank goodness! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL