The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Neutralisation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Well, Ekman's findings regarding how our faces and bodies unconsciously give visible signals that we're lying could theoretically be useful to magicians. But, that said, it's his position that even the most skilled liar can't control these unconscious responses, so if that's the case then perhaps the only practical use for magicians would be greater self-awareness and the ability to know when a spectator is "bluffing" (i.e., lying) when we say "is that your card" and they say "no." Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I have never been able to do that thing that Erdnase calls:

“This cunning and absolutely unfathomable stratagem must have been devised by an individual of truly Machiavelian subtlety.”
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2008-12-15 20:55, Donal Chayce wrote:
Well, Ekman's findings regarding how our faces and bodies unconsciously give visible signals that we're lying could theoretically be useful to magicians. But, that said, it's his position that even the most skilled liar can't control these unconscious responses, so if that's the case then perhaps the only practical use for magicians would be greater self-awareness and the ability to know when a spectator is "bluffing" (i.e., lying) when we say "is that your card" and they say "no." Smile

Microexpressions. Some of us see in what is called "microexpressions". The things that happen between the seconds.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2008-12-15 21:52, Dannydoyle wrote:
Microexpressions. Some of us see in what is called "microexpressions". The things that happen between the seconds.

That's one of Dr. Ekman's areas of expertise.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
There seems to be no guides on to how to lie effectively but many on to detect lies.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2008-12-16 11:19, tommy wrote:
There seems to be no guides on to how to lie effectively . . .

Begin with Stanislavski and go on to his descendents . . . there's a lot out there.
Michael Kamen
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakland, CA
1315 Posts

Profile of Michael Kamen
Consider, if 90% of what you do on stage is framed in such a way as to be taken by the audience as tongue in cheek, then your lies will be perceived in a playful spirit. Your audience will be prepared to enjoy the incongruity you present to them.

Do you really want them to take you so seriously? If everything is a lie, then there is really no deception.

There may be a lot to learn from the art of clowning.
Michael Kamen
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
When in effect I place four Queens face down onto the table, I want them to absolutely be convinced that is what I have done, when in fact I haven’t. While the mechanics of the deception is helpful in doing that, so is the demeanour of magician. If he does that tongue in cheek as you say, it will arouse suspicion and not be effective. Thus one needs to not merely use mechanics but acting and psychology to convince them of the lie I think.

Tommy
Michael Kamen
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakland, CA
1315 Posts

Profile of Michael Kamen
I think it takes a skilled performer, but a spirit of fun and humor need not cancel conviction of so obvious a thing as putting those 4 Queens on the table.
Michael Kamen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Neutralisation (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL