The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Young Magician, where to start off? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MAGICALKORI
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of MAGICALKORI
I am only 13 and just started learning more complicated magic tricks. My dad does magic and has been teaching some of the cups and balls tricks, but besides that I don't know what to do. Does anyone know where I could start off? Smile
xicepik
View Profile
Regular user
Montréal
117 Posts

Profile of xicepik
If you are interested in cards you could ask your parents to buy Royal Road to Card Magic and start with that and a deck of cards. With only this, you'll have stuff to practice for a couple of months Smile
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
Since you have some exposure to magic, what areas appeal to you most as an audience member? Start with those areas which interest you most and you will be more likely to stick with it and find enjoyment in performing those effects. Why do what everyone else is doing just because everyone else is doing it?

That said, Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic is a good starting point, as it covers a wide array of topics and will get you started in the right direction.
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
Most important thing in magic, get some confidence! You are not ONLY 13, you ARE 13 which is a great age and means that you have a leg up on us who started learning magic later in life. Being young is an advantage not a handicap.

With that being said you probably want to learn the basics in cards and coins to complement your cups and balls knowledge.

Cheap books (under 10 dollars each)
-The royal road to card magic
-Modern Coin magic by Bobo
-Wilson's Complete Course in Magic

You will spend several months working through those books if you are reading them right. Practice everything more than you think you need to and go slowly making sure to take it all in, there is a lot of information in those books.
Sean
View Profile
Loyal user
No Cal
205 Posts

Profile of Sean
I ditto the Mark Wilson book. It's inexpensive and contains a wealth of great information. From it, you can build a solid foundation of magical knowledge. I'm starting out also (again), and one of my favorite card tricks comes from the Wilson book.

I don't know where you live, but if there's a magic shop nearby, you may want to look into classes. Check also any local Parks and Recreation programs. As a kid, I took magic classes through the YMCA.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
There have been some SUPERIOR recommendations made in the postings above. Here would be mine in order of structured importance:

The Amateur Magician's Handbook by Henry Hay
Although this book is still, I believe, available in a small paperback, you would be served well if you can find a used hardback copy. This is a superb book. The first two chapters alone are worth almost any reasonable price and for those the paperback would be fine.

The Mark Wilson Course in Magic, the FULL volume
Here again is a wonderful resource that you should be able to find used fairly easy as it is out of print at the moment.

Magic for Dummies…this 'dummies' volume has some wonderful information that you will not find anywhere else.

All best,
Brad Burt
Brad Burt
Tommy1324
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
104 Posts

Profile of Tommy1324
I really don't have much to add to all the great advice you've already gotten, but take time to sign up for Brad Burt's Mini Magic Course. I have found it very helpful myself. But them again, I am much older than you. Have fun in learning.
Tommy1324
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
I can only second the three books Brad recommended Smile : Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, Henry Hay's Amateur Magician's Handbook which is great and often overlooked, and Magic for Dummies, in that order. I was going to post exactly those if someone had not already done so. I have dozens of books and still go back to these ones.

-Reg {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
I think Wilson's book and Magic for Dummies are probably more accessible for young readers than Hay's book, though the content is good.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I was a young performer too. Looking back I regret not working on the non-magical part of my routine. The secret moves were so fun to practice, that other things got overlooked. Patter, presentation, and the transitions between tricks are so important. If you can put together a routine that is entertaining without any tricks, and then add the magic as a bonus, you'll be ahead of the game.

I also spent a lot of time fooling the audience. Half of my act was sucker tricks. People get tired of being tricked, and will try harder and harder to find you out or just give up and stop watching. Now I try to be amazed with them, sharing the magical experience. I'll either give an explanation that almost makes sense (the bill floats due to static electricity) or act as if I can't figure it out myself.

You have a ton of resources that many of us didn't at your age (video, Internet). Read and watch as much as you can, but focus on a small collection of effects that suit you best.

Have fun and don't worry about messing up. Occasionally I will run into someone from elementary school. They remember me as the guy who did magic, not the guy who started Hippity Hop Rabbits with two black rabbits showing.

Welcome to magic and the Café
-Josh
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
You should try joining a magic club that has a special section for junior members.

Links to some of these may be found at http://www.LearningMagic.co.uk/.
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
BryanDreyfus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of BryanDreyfus
The only way to get proficient is to work for a lay audience.

Magic clubbers may mean well but are tainted by knowlege and the idea of how the tricks SHOULD be done. I saw a, truely, awfull illusion act at a meeting once..I was new so I didn't comment. I saw no one tell their friend and fellow club member that he needed to work on it.....so he goes out in public and bombs. Is this a diservice or not?

I've seen so many teens who have the mechanics down cold...who havent a clue what entertainment is about...it is like watching a robot go mindlessly through a computerized series of movements and people who know better say nothing or worse compliment them on there great "chops".

It isn't their fault mind you...there are very few places where teens (trying hard not to say "Kids") can "work" on their magic. Also, teens are apt to not be willing to change what they are doing to suit the spectators.....I've read more than one post commenting something on the order of, "It's the way I do it and I'm not gonna change..if they don't get it (audience) that's their prob"
I havent read it exactly like that but if you read between the lines the sentiment comes shining through. Why wont anyone stand up and say, "You are there for that audience...if they don't get it it is YOUR fault"?

I wish I had an answer other than going out on the street or in parks and doing magic for fun while honing your true skill...that of an entertainer. Do magic for free anywhere you can..so if you are bad...and you will be...no one will feel cheated...and you can shrug it off and not repeat the same mistakes. maybe youth clubs or senior citizen centers...invest your time and learn to be comfortable with people.

this is my advise for everyone....Perform for free anywhere you can. You will reap the benefits...this I promise.

Bryan
Oh sure, I can spell "Antidisestablishmentarianism", but I can't type t-h-e.
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
Be sure to get your own copy of one of the above mentioned books. Pick exactly one (It might be diffacult to pick just one, but do it) and work int into something that will entertain the young kids in your neighborhood.
You mentioned the cups & balls. You could look at Mark Wilsons routine and have someting fun to perform in a week or two (if you practice every day). Be sure not to perform the routine for other peole until you think you could do it without thinking about the moves. The next routine will come much easier. Have fun, and enjoy,
Mike
Magic is fun!!!
Spider
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Spider
Hi,

The Magic Of Alkazar, by Allan Kronzek, was written exactly for you! This is a wonderful book, full of quality magic and splendid hints on fine presentations. In fact, every trick includes suggestions for alternate presentations, which is a way to get you thinking about how you present EVERY trick you learn how to do, now and later.

The Four Winds Press version is very stylish, but is out-of-print and will have to be sought on the used market. Try:

http://www.bibliofind.com

Dover has recently reprinted this 23-yr-old book. The information is the same, but the wonderful stylized drawings of the original have been replaced with clear but style-less functional drawings. Either way, the book is superb. Get it and read it thoughtfully. The magic is solid, and the advice is priceless.

Spider Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Young Magician, where to start off? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL