The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Complete invocation Vol 1 & 2 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Quote:

And Clifford, yes, I think that finding a voice of your own is the most important issue today, providing that you have decent effects to work with.

Ah, I think one starts with effects from others, but the real joy is creating something from whole cloth or at least taking an effect (and honestly, in bizarre it can be practically anything, even a plastic ADAMS imp bottle) and tweaking it, enveloping it in authenticity and weaving a fantastical tale that is all your own.

For example, at the Odd Gathering in March, we have an annual contest called Iron Magi (similar to Iron Chef) where we are given a "secret ingredient" and have the day (amid the other activities) to come up with an original effect using that item. This year the item was a 16 oz bottle of Crystal Geyser water. Now I have to say that is no easy feat - coming up with a piece of bizarre using a water bottle, and I made my feeble attempt (but I DID make an attempt!) but there was an effect created by the quietest guy at the event that was totally bizarre and actually utterly fantastic - with a frickin water bottle! It is totally performable in a show and very worthy of inclusion, in fact, it would be a dramatic highlight. It exceeded my expectations but demonstrated the amazing creativity in the bizarre community.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
james1a
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of james1a
Sorry curator I already tried there, no luck.

james1a
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:
On 2009-06-19 03:09, Clifford the Red wrote:
I think the whole "impractical" thing is nonsense and a cop-out. It speaks to not understanding bizarre in general and is the mindless complaint I hear all too often from traditional magicians who are too stuck in their ways to allow artists to be artists, or magic shop owners who would rather sell you the latest DVD of inane tattoo tricks. Sorry, but I don't accept that premise at all.

The Invocation is a wealth of information to artists dealing with creative thought, presentation dynamics and atmosphere. The pulp fiction description of the effects are unique to bizarre and for enjoyment and atmosphere and are never intended to be performed exactly as stated. Bizarre expects you to do YOUR work as an artist and make it your own.

Aw come on Red, you really think anyone is ever going to be able to perform the very first effect listed in the book? It's fantasy. "Flash" hankies dipped in nitric acid? That one has some good ideas and may instill inspiration, but I just don't see anyone ever actually doing that one as described.
Not that all the effects are impractical, many/most are quite do-able, but some are essentially thought experiments -which still has value, really.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
He tried...

JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Quote:
On 2009-06-24 12:17, Mystician wrote:
Quote:
I think the whole "impractical" thing is nonsense and a cop-out. It speaks to not understanding bizarre in general and is the mindless complaint I hear all too often from traditional magicians who are too stuck in their ways to allow artists to be artists, or magic shop owners who would rather sell you the latest DVD of inane tattoo tricks. Sorry, but I don't accept that premise at all.

The Invocation is a wealth of information to artists dealing with creative thought, presentation dynamics and atmosphere. The pulp fiction description of the effects are unique to bizarre and for enjoyment and atmosphere and are never intended to be performed exactly as stated. Bizarre expects you to do YOUR work as an artist and make it your own.

Aw come on Red, you really think anyone is ever going to be able to perform the very first effect listed in the book? It's fantasy. "Flash" hankies dipped in nitric acid? That one has some good ideas and may instill inspiration, but I just don't see anyone ever actually doing that one as described.
Not that all the effects are impractical, many/most are quite do-able, but some are essentially thought experiments -which still has value, really.

It could be done with a little tweaking and some up to date apparatus. Instead of a hank use something else. Also the venue is a little small and an audience may not "fall for it" as written especially today.And the premise of the effect is a little "out there" lol. This can be redone so it's still the same effect but by changing things to suspend disbelief it becomes something different anyway. Dangit Mystician....
:)
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Quote:
On 2009-06-24 12:17, Mystician wrote:
Quote:

It could be done with a little tweaking and some up to date apparatus. Instead of a hank use something else. Also the venue is a little small and an audience may not "fall for it" as written especially today. This can be redone so it's still the same effect but by changing things to suspend disbelief it becomes something different anyway. Dangit Mystician....
:)
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Aw C'mon Mystician! And this coming from someone who runs electricity through his body like frickin' Tesla ;-P Certainly some of the stuff was from another era - GASP - because it was written decades ago when we were less concerned over petty things like safety. Hell I have some magic books that would put me on every terrorist watch list out there to be sure. But as we said, they all contribute to our creativity and there are many things available at our disposal today. I bet if we had a little contest to bring that gem into the 21st Century the entries would blow all of our minds. Have you no faith brother?
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Complete invocation Vol 1 & 2 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL