The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Split Coin vs. Flipper (both with shell) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Montbeliard
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Montbeliard
Hi folks,
Sorry to post such an annoying thread but I'm really in a pickle over which of the above to invest in, given that money is at an all time low!

I was really inspired by Josh Jay's 3 coin vanish on his Methods lecture DVD, and was very close to buying one of the new Tango pro series flippers with a shell. But now I find that the split coin has well and truly landed and is being hailed as the best thing since sliced... well, coins!

I'm presuming that similar to the flipper, an expanded shell would only multiply what you could do with one of these babies, so whichever gaff I go for, I'll be getting a shell.

So the question is: which one?! It would seem that given that both allow you to show two coins, but the split coin allows you to show them separate plus all of the other functionality you could get from it, this would be a good choice. But then, for coins through table etc, is the flipper more visual? Is it more examinable?

Any opinions, experiences or advice would be very much appreciated.
Adam Hince
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
509 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
I love both coin gaffs, but personally I use the Split Coin more. A gravity flipper allows for more visual vanishes, but I prefer all of the other things that can be done with a Split Coin. Check out my review of Craig Petty's Split Happens DVD, all great stuff that can be done with the Split Coin. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=111&40

Also, neither of the coins gaffs are examinable.

Thanks,
-AH
Montbeliard
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Montbeliard
Thanks for the useful reply Adam. I probably am leaning towards the split coin, because in terms of a vanish the mechanics are in some ways similar to a flipper (i.e. you have to give space for one "coin" to turn over), but there seems to be an awful lot more you can do with them!

In terms of being examinable, I realise you couldn't hand either out! But I wondered whether from a short distance one was more suspicious than the other - specifically, how easy the split in the SC is seen when the flipper presumably has a perfect edge when nested.
Montbeliard
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Montbeliard
Crisis over: I've just managed to sell some magic which means I can afford both. Christmas truly has come early! Smile
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
BOth coins have their uses, IMHO the split coin is the newer gaff, and its uses are still being discovered. I have a WL split and it will pas a casual look fairly easily, a little movement of the hand will conceal the split.
Montbeliard
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Montbeliard
Yeah, I've seen som videos of the WL split - look beautiful! Unfortunately, the other gaffs, the ungimmicked coins and the shells are all a lot more expensive in walking liberty, and I think it's harder to find matching ones. So, Kennedy half dollars for me.
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
I have a Kennedy one as well, it works fine.
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
If you get both great, however if decide to get only one coin, then I highly recommend the split coin. It allows for a much more natural handling and is a joy to use and preform with.
rosenkrantz
View Profile
New user
USA
71 Posts

Profile of rosenkrantz
I recomend a gravity flipper. But my favorite coin gaff is a soft morgan dollar
cm/triple threat
roses are green, violets are yellow...oh and i'm color blind
mwmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of mwmagic
Rosenkrantz
I agree with you and own TT with matching GF and a 3CM all in soft morgans
rosenkrantz
View Profile
New user
USA
71 Posts

Profile of rosenkrantz
The spilt coin is verstile, but not as versitle as a flipper with shell. before comitting the money for the big leagues, try getting a tango gravity flipper and shell and a book called "destroyers" by josh jay. I'd also suggest "flip it" by dean dill and "coin man walking" by dan wakins
roses are green, violets are yellow...oh and i'm color blind
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
As an FYI destroyers is written by josh jay... but it is troys work...
Shawn.
mwmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of mwmagic
Drestroyers V2 (DVD) has a good 'coins to glass' using the flipper. He uses a Morgan.
Troy explains the exact handling of the Gravity Flipper on the DVD.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Split Coin vs. Flipper (both with shell) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL