The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How Many of You Are Full-Time Professional Magicians?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Great Domino
View Profile
Special user
Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Great Domino
I'm in the process of getting started. Going through the promo package and what not. It's more work than I thought. Scott Guinn's advice on Visions online magic really helped me make up my mind.
Stef
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Stef
Thank you Great Domino et al, for the site. I did not know it existed.

Smile
Life is a throw of the die.
Mentally yours.
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
I wish! but in my market you can't make a living doing magic full time. I have a few buddies doing FT but their wives work too and they are not living high on the hog. Utah is NOT a magic state. I do about 3 shows a month.
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
When I became full-timer, three years ago, I decided I didn't want to do magic for entertainment purposes only. I am very proud now, that at least 50% of my business is motivational speeches. It gives me the opportunity to show a modern audience there is a lot more in magic than rabbits, cardtricks or sawing-ladies-in-half...

Also switching from corporate speeches to an evening of jazz-magic in a trendy restaurant keeps me fresh and creative.

Attenting McBride's Masterclass a couple of times has proven to be of great value in envisioning my goals.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
Quote:
On 2003-05-01 10:13, WR wrote:
I wish! but in my market you can't make a living doing magic full time. I have a few buddies doing FT but their wives work too and they are not living high on the hog. Utah is NOT a magic state. I do about 3 shows a month.
WR Smile

You should move to California!!! There are tons of things to do in magic and a really high demand for entertainment.

Andrew Smile Smile
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Yeah, really; can someone make a good living off of performing in restaurants and parties, etc.?
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

I know several magicians that are full time professional magicians and support families of six. So I would say the answer is yes, IF you know what you are doing and go about it the right way.

Andrew

-Andrew
martyk
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of martyk
Not I; my vocation is that of Clnical Psychologist/Psychotherapist.
Depending for one's income and ego gratification on whether or not people lie you, day after day, or like your act requires inordinate courage.. Performing in general is a tough go, or so it seems to me.
Marty K
Kevin Bethea
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
36 Posts

Profile of Kevin Bethea
I do it full time as well. Mainly restaurants and corporate events. My wife also works. That helps when it comes to benefits. We have 3 children. But I made sure to get my education. I have a degree in Computer Science and was in corporate sales most of my post college career. I could fall back on that if times ever got tough. Going full time has thus far been the best career decision that I have ever made.
Kevin Bethea

"If they like you, they will LOVE your magic."
Wesley
View Profile
New user
Sheffield U.K
56 Posts

Profile of Wesley
I am and love it!
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

I had to ask...
Not specifically but generally...
Is the pay decent for you full timers?
I would like to be when I get older and out of school. I am planning on doing lots of restaurant work and walk around, trade shows, etc. I really do not want a family so I would just be supporting myself. I hope the money is good enough.

Andrew

-Andrew
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Andrew,

Here is Southern California there is an incredible opportunity to do shows as there is so much entertainment here. You should keep in mind, however, that because of that simple fact...the bar is set much much higher for entertainment. It's very similar in other areas like Vegas. Expectations are much higher. In addition, there are so many magicians competing for the dollar there is alot of price undercutting so it makes it more difficult (not impossible).

And magic has been very very good to me.

Steven
Coram Deo
kull_spider
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
115 Posts

Profile of kull_spider
A question to pro magicians:

How much does an average pro earn a month? How much can you earn on a good month, and how badly can you earn on a bad month (sorry, don't know how to phrase this)?
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
828 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
It really depends on what part of the world your market is in. In New York, the pay is high, but a steak costs $40. I like corporate work.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Average pro? Well, by what standards. If you want the arithmetical mean/average that's one thing as it is based solely on the number of performers. If you define average in terms of skill or competence, that could be quite a different matter.

I can answer part of your question definitively, however. On a bad month you can make $0. It is part of the risk of being self employed.

Some performers have been known to bill a client $10,000 to $100,000 for a single event.
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
For those who want to know about money. I can tell you it comes down to one thing.

How hard are you willing to work?

It is a job. I admit that for some hobbyists it might seem very appealing. The truth is actually performing is 10% of what I do (maybe a little more). You really need to have some knowledge of setting up and running a business. I know a lot of pro's that do very well, I know other pro's that are happy getting by.

It really is a business you can make money at, but it takes dedication and patience.
Good Luck,
Jason
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
Jason said it best:
"how hard are you willing to work?"

Like any business, you get out whatever you put into it. Just being a great magician does not mean you will find work; marketing is very important as well. People will only be impressed by you if you can get the chance to meet with them and show them what you can do. Sometimes you need to wow them on paper first, then wow them in person.

Mat
BryanDreyfus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of BryanDreyfus
I was full time pro...now I'm a retired semi, semi- pro.

I work here and there....

If you have an act and are then ready to learn bookkeeping, time managment, promotion, booking, problem solving and a bunch of other stuff. Magic as a business isn't much about magic....it is about business.

Bryan
Oh sure, I can spell "Antidisestablishmentarianism", but I can't type t-h-e.
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Quote:
On 2003-05-06 10:53, BryanDreyfus wrote:
I was full time pro...now i'm a retired semi, semi- pro.

I wonder if there is such a thing as a "quarter-pro."

Andrew Smile

-Andrew
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
Yes,and it is worth less than a "50 cent piece-Pro"

Smile Smile Smile

Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How Many of You Are Full-Time Professional Magicians?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL