The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What tricks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WV
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa, Durban
293 Posts

Profile of WV
What effects can I do for Stand-up/Parlor magic?

I have some card effects (like Clutch, The Reperation, etc.), Greg Wilson's Ring Leader, Spongeball routines and cups and balls.

I am planning on getting 20th century silk and silk productions as well as a changebag and an eggbag.

Any other suggestions will be verty helpful.
Vernesto

"I'm not perfect, just forgiven!"
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
497 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
The first things that come to mind are the linking rings.

After, I'd look into rope effects like you find on Fiber Optics or Daryl's rope DVD set. Levitations such as Zombie ball or Bill Abbot's The Thing work well. Also mentalism works at any distance as long as you are comfortable with performing.

If you're doing ungimmicked card effects, I'd suggest looking into jumbo-index cards so that everyone can see what the card is.

Just a few thoughts.
Bill
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
560 Posts

Profile of pradell
Effects are secondary. The real first question is aptly asked in the famous song:

Well, who are you? (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?)
I really wanna know (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?)
Tell me, who are you? (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?)
'Cause I really wanna know (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?)

The effects depend upon who you are planning to present yourself as, i.e. your character. Also, they depend upon your personality.

Since your motto is:
"I'm finding everything I'll ever need, by giving up gaining everything," go back to the tricks you already know, find a way to adapt them for the stand up/parlor audience, and slowly add effects which are part of your persona/character and which work for you.

A suggestion about what works for someone else with a completely different magical persona won't be particularly helpful for you.

:magicrabbit:
WV
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa, Durban
293 Posts

Profile of WV
Thanks for the advice. I still think that you should be able to adapt any trick to fit your personality. BTW - I hate that song - Smile

Any other suggestions?
Vernesto

mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Pradell makes a good point... not all tricks blend to every persona.

Its like asking "what color should I paint my house?".

Of course any color paint cant be applied to a house... and it will dry and stick.

But, how does the house look? What style is it? What about the landscape? What about the other houses next to it? A lot comes into play other than the actual paint (aka effect)

If you are simply looking for effect ideas of what is out there that you may not be familiar with, surf around a few magic store sites and review the closeup category. Better yet - go to http://www.murphysmagic.com who is a supplier to dealers - you can see most of what is available to the magic world.

As for me and my own persona, the razors from mouth play VERY well. Steve Spill just put out a great video on needle swallowing. I do a few chop cup routines... and the obligatory card tricks. The Knockout Deck is a really good closeup effect. Triumph or Cheek to Cheek is also a good one.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Gill Rogers
View Profile
New user
Little Rock, AR, USA
61 Posts

Profile of Gill Rogers
With a parlour type show audience participation seems to be a good way to go. There are a number of good rope effects which require helpers, the invisible deck has loads of applications with specs, and you can even get some audience participation in a linking rings routine. Producing bra/panties/boxers with the right participants can be riotously funny.

Recently attended a parlour show near here, and the best effects weren't the most complicated, nor the best technically presented, but the ones which entertained the most.
The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.--Albert Einstein
WV
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa, Durban
293 Posts

Profile of WV
Thanks Gill Rogers. Anyone else?
Vernesto

M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
This isn't everything but mine does include, a rope routine, the floating rose, and Bills Abbotts "The Thing."
WV
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa, Durban
293 Posts

Profile of WV
I looked at Fiber Optics Extended by Richard Sanders. It looks very good and I heard (or rather read)some people giving rave reviews?
Vernesto

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What tricks? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL