The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Panic ..? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1101 Posts

Profile of Nash
It was a slow night last night, and the restaurant owner told me they will be suspending magic for the time being. They will call me up on special nights.

Getting cut isn't new to me, but this time feels a little different. I have a feeling I got caught at the worst time to find a new gig.

I hope this isn't happening to you.
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Happens all the time. 80% of restaurants fail in the first 6 months or some such statistic.

Sad statistic, by the time they think of using something like magic, they are usually on the way down in the first place!

Lots of stories like that out there.

Seems odd though. For over a year every media outlet could not tell us enough times we were in a recession. Trumpeted it from the hilltops, even before we really were.

Now we are, and they seem to have gotten what they want, and it seems as if they mention it far less than before.

Things are not great as a rule. But not everyone is doing badly either. Something to keep in mind.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
I had a couple of restaurants tell me they are just waiting until after the new year to start up. Hang in there.
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Well, the restaurant I perform at just decided that starting January, they're only having 1 magician a week. Me and the other guy are alternating every other week now. But the manager has assured me that's only until they get busy again, come spring. But this time, I actually believe her. I'm at a restaurant that can more than afford us together on an "average" night. She has mentioned to both of us that after they started announcing the fact that they had 2 magicians there every Wednesday, they saw a definite increase in sales and profits.

Hope it turns around for you. Smile

-Steve
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
Seems odd though. For over a year every media outlet could not tell us enough times we were in a recession. Trumpeted it from the hilltops, even before we really were.

Now we are, and they seem to have gotten what they want, and it seems as if they mention it far less than before.

[/quote]

Their man got elected president now. The media made it sound bad so the people will vote the way the media wanted you to.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I've always found the slow times the best for finding work.

When customers are just flowing in the doors a lot of places don't bother with entertainment - why bother with the extra effort and expense when the dollars are coming in anyway?

When times are tough many venues become more willing to try things.

We have to get out there, find those venues and present them with a package that'll work for them and you.

Destiny

ADDENDUM: Don't accept rotten money now on the promise of better when things pick up - when things pick up they don't need you as much.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-12-20 15:11, Magicusa wrote:

Bring national politics into the discussion? Great idea! That'll both solve this guy's problem and make us all act oh-so civil towards each other!

Their man got elected president now. The media made it sound bad so the people will vote the way the media wanted you to.
[/quote]
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I didn't take Danny's post as political at all - just a comment on the way the media focus on bad tidings.

Of course the same cannot be said for the gentleman who quoted Danny and added sour grapes.

Destiny
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-12-20 16:56, plasticdestiny wrote:
I didn't take Danny's post as political at all - just a comment on the way the media focus on bad tidings.

Of course the same cannot be said for the gentleman who quoted Danny and added sour grapes.

Destiny

yep. that's what I was referring to.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
313 Posts

Profile of jiayi
I got cut from a restaurant in Nov too. Same reason. Luckily I have 2 other ones on the side. I am asking one of them to see if I could get one more day with them.

One door closes, another door opens. look at the bright side, the ending of something old is always a beginning of something new. Don't put all of the eggs in one basketball, and do more marketing to keep the boat afloat. Everything will be good. =)
Dr. Joe
View Profile
New user
Joe Dobson
14 Posts

Profile of Dr. Joe
If anyone cares, about 1/4 of U.S. restaurants fail in their first year.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Quote:
On 2008-12-20 22:44, Dr. Joe wrote:
If anyone cares, about 1/4 of U.S. restaurants fail in their first year.

Not entirely true...

http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz/con......6932.htm

1 in four restaurants fail or change hands.

For more positive stats on Restaurants : http://www.restaurant.org/research/ind_glance.cfm

Failure rates for restaurants are overstated and on par with many other businesses.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
puppetboy
View Profile
New user
Manhattan
28 Posts

Profile of puppetboy
Quote:
On 2008-12-20 15:11, Magicusa wrote:

[/quote]

Hmmm...Grand Media conspiracy? Or maybe a simpler explanation: http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/01/news/eco......08120115

Back to the topic--- When times are tough, businesses often cut back. Unfortunately, they sometimes cut back on the very things they should be spending more on, like promotion or differentiating themselves from their competition. If you're in the position to be on the receiving end of those cutbacks, it's in your best interest to a)make yourself indespensible, and b)make sure that people know WHY you're indespensible. That's just basic salesmanship, but if you double-down on those principles, you can do surprisingly well even in hard times.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I would love to say there is no reason to worry and for the most part therre isn't. If the economy is piching right now, at least be prepared to generate income from other sources.
I have my own language school and I am seriously considering getting another part time teaching job. We are doing OK with the school but you never know and I don;t see the point of taking any chances now.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Panic ..? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL