The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Mickey Rourke in "The Wrestler"... Anyone seen it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Just found out about this...

This looks promising... Great reviews...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ1r_RPH28Q&feature=channel

Anyone seen it already?

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Very good movie. The scarey thing is, Mickey Rourke looks just like his STEP-dad in this movie, although a bit buffer.
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Can't wait to see it... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Cholly, by golly!
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Cholly, by golly!
I've seen it.

It's easily one of the Top 3 movies of 2008.

It's shot almost like a documentary.

The movie itself is hilarious, uplifting, heart-wrenching, and a little nauseating at times.

The Necro Butcher and meat-slicer scenes are pretty hard to watch.... even for a hardcore horror fan like me.

It will be a crime if Mickey Rourke doesn't get Best Actor for this.

... and let's not forget L.A. Smooth and the Funky Samoans!
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
It's the Mick's redemption movie. It is going to revive his career the same way pulp Fiction put Johnny T. back on the map.

I can't wait to see it!
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
It's already starting to work for him.
Apparently he's been offered to play the villian in Ironman 2.

As long as he behaves he's back...
magicmonkey99
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of magicmonkey99
I just watched this last night, and I have to say, the ending left me with goosebumps. I would have to put this as the best film of 2008. It was interesting cause the last time I saw Micky Rourke was in Diner, and yeah, he looked different.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
It was a good movie and I enjoyed it. Personally I don't know if I would consider it the year's best movie, but it is certainly up there among the year's best.

The Wrestler did remind me of several others of this genre out in recent years ... older guy past his prime (played by older actor no longer at his box office best), trying to make good ... like JCVD, Rocky Balboa, The Matador, etc.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Seriously...anyone know why his face is so deformed and swollen in places? very much like acromegaly deformation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acromegaly
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
magicmonkey99
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of magicmonkey99
Well Micky Rourke decided to become a boxer in the early 90's, and that didn't work out so well for his um, well looks.
Obviously it's a matter of opinion that I think this is the year's best picture, obviously the academy would disagree, considering they didn't even give this a nomination. Smile
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
I saw this last weekend... EASILY one of the best of 2009 so far, truely an exellent film, very emotional and dramatic. The scenes between Randy and his estranged daughter were positively moving and, in most parts, heartbreaking. Marisa Tomei was also very good and, umm, naked. Also very realistic and well acted, Mickey Rourke was EXCELLENT (I also consider Even Rachel Wood to be a stand-out, she was fantastic too). The ending was VERY powerful.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
Tony Chris
View Profile
V.I.P.
Vancouver, Canada
714 Posts

Profile of Tony Chris
I saw The Wrestler last week.

I loved it completely! I have never been a Mickey Rourke fan until this movie. I went with my wife and the whole movie was quite an awsome experience.

There were parts in it that made us both cry, a few of them actually and the acting on Mickey's part was amazing.

I hope he gets the Oscar for best actor as I have seen all the other ones that are also up for the honor but he is my pic.

I use to love wathching wrestling ever since I was a kid. Not so much in the last 5 years though and after reading Brett Hart's latest book on the topic I really had such an appreciation for the lives that these guys lead to make it in that dod eat dog business especially in the independant and minor circuits. Brett Hart by the way started out on stampede wrestling in Calgary, Canada and I must have been about 10 years old when I first started watching him.

It's been a week since I saw it and I still think about many of the scenes and Mickey's character. Kind of haunting. I mean it was my kind of movie which is meloncholy, very dramatic and shows a struggle of one man who had and lost it all and was just trying to make whatever living that he could with what was left of his broken down body.

Great flick, 5 out of 5 stars for me on this one. Great drama, great acting, fantastic story line.

Tony
As magicians we create what onlookers call magic. If they truly believe in what we have created for them to witness then magic is real!!!

- TONY CHRIS, A.K.A. Zany Zack

http://www.tonychris.com
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2009-02-02 05:41, Doug Higley wrote:
Seriously...anyone know why his face is so deformed and swollen in places? very much like acromegaly deformation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acromegaly
Mickey's facial features are the real life results of botched voluntary plastic surgery and taking punches wile boxing.

Did any one see the movie Sin City? Mickey turned out an outstanding performance as Marv, as he avenges the murder of Goldie.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
I've had the pleasure of working as a referee with some of the wrestlers in this movie. It's cool to see them on the big screen. I don't referee for pro wrestling any more, but I did name my new magic book "High Spots" which I think shows that I'm still a professional wrestling fan...lol

Caleb
http://www.CalebWiles.com
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Big Jeff
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
This comes out on DVD tuesday. I will watch it then.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Me too...

I hope there's lots of DVD Extras?!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Mickey Rourke in "The Wrestler"... Anyone seen it? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL