The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » List building (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
761 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
OK I have a few ways that I am constantly building my monthly Email list for parents and Kids (I have reviews of local events at the museum and other places for parents along with party planning ideas... and activities to do with the kids.. and games for the kids to play)

My newsletter is doing very well with a average of 3 gigs a month from ppl on the list (I have about 1200 on the list right now)

But HOW can I tipple my list?? I don't want to open it up to the whole net because I only want local ppl cause they are my clients..

Any ideas?? (If you don't have a list BUILD ONE)
its ok.. balloon dogs don't bite
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Tipple the list? Well, you could open a bottle of wine..
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
An easy way is to create a list sign up on your website....

I have a simple sign up on my site just a place for a email address and their names...

Check it out http://www.CurtisLovell.com
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
The sign up on my website doesn't do as well as I would like it to. I would also like a few tips...
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Hello Hart,

I checked out your website..... You might want to change the way you promote to sign up for your newsletters.

Create it where they can fill in the blanks.... besides clicking to get to the sign up form...
Visit my site to see a sample of what I mean...
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
If you have a party center nearby, put a POP display for advertising (or at a family doctor clinic, dentist etc. )offering a prize (free show, or magic kit). Of course asking for birthday date, and parent e-mail address, on the entry form.

Blair
RobertTemple
View Profile
Regular user
Newcastle, UK
174 Posts

Profile of RobertTemple
There is a BRILLIANT free eBook about listbuilding on one of my friend's websites: http://www.ListBuilding4Profit.com.

It's aimed at Internet Marketers but it applies to anyone to be honest.
Yannou
View Profile
Veteran user
381 Posts

Profile of Yannou
Don't triple your list - triple the business you get from your existing list. If you have their phonenumber, send out your monthly email and follow up 3 days later by phone. Ask what they thought of it. How you can improve it etc. And while you're talking to them, ask what occasions they have coming up where they just might need your services. Whatever you do, FOLLOW UP. Any marketer will tell you that the secret of succes in sending out promotional material in whatever form is the followup. You may also find out why they do not book you and perhaps you can change that so that they will!
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
But then it goes from being permission based (sending them a newsletter they have chosen to sign up to) to unsolicited cold calling (telephoning them when they have only subscribed a newsletter - not given you permission to contact them by phone).

A company did that to me not that long ago. As soon as they started bothering me by phone I immediately unsubscribed from their newsletter.
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
I agree with Caliban. Calling someone from an email list to do what you are doing is in bad form.

I signed up for a trial version of an online billing service (keeps track of time I spend on projects and organizes invoices).

Later that day I got an email (that's fine), a voicemail (ug), and a follow up email saying they left a voicemail (HUH?).

Why on earth would someone send an email telling me they left a voicemail!!!??? That's worse than people who email me then call me to tell me they emailed me.

Just a little too pushy and car salesman-y for me. I doubt I'll be sticking with them and instead will use their competition.
Yannou
View Profile
Veteran user
381 Posts

Profile of Yannou
Ok. maybe I'm thinking too much corporate market here. That's where you deal with professionals who expect a followup call and deal with that sort of thing all day long. But do try to generate some form of response from your subscribers. Add a poll, let them know about a special, tell them that if they want to book you for say, Halloween, they better hurry, because you're almost full. Sounds too car salesman-y? I don't think so. Getting a response from prospective clients and finding out what you can do for them is just good marketing. Telling them these spongeballs used to belong to a little old lady who only took them to church on a Sunday, now that would be too much.
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
I think you might just be misunderstanding what we're talking about.

My issue is turning someone's permission for an email newsletter into a cold call. That is going too far and is in bad form in my book. Just because they gave you permission to email them doesn't give you an open door into their office or phone.

That said...

I agree with you and am all for generating responses from subscribers. That's the entire point of a newsletter.

In fact, I'm a die hard believer in the "Book Yourself Solid" upside down funnel:

Start with a wide net and offer them an easy way to 'advance' to the next stage, which is a smaller part of the funnel. This continues until you are left with a small group of super clients at the top (your top 20%).

And I DO believe in calling previous CLIENTS and get them further along the funnel. I just don't think its appropriate to call someone who has only signed up for a newsletter.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
How would they get the phone number of someone who signed up for their e-newsletter, unless they also asked your name, phone #, and address as a part of the submit form?

If you give them that information, it's only normal to expect them to use it.

As I understand it, from hearing some info marketers, they want more info, and if they request it they do explain that they will use your email, phone, fax, address, etc. all for marketing to you. I've seen this on some of Dan Kennedy's offers, for example.

Be sure to read the "fine print" when signing up, especially if you choose to give more information.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
The easiest and quickest way I know to triple a list LOCALLY is to Joint Venture with another local professional.

Offer something of value FREE (in exchange for their contact info of course) to his list and let them do the same to yours ...

There must be a dozen or so local entertainers with a list who wouldn't mind a shot your customers ... Depending on your market you can try this with other non-competing professionals like caterers ... or event planners ...

Just offer something free to their customers ...

Another way is to set up one of those RAFFLE boxes asking people to sign up for a chance at whatever you're giving away, but if you want quality registrants, I would focus on partnering with someone local and doing a little quid pro quo ...

Oscar
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » List building (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL