The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Sands of the desert (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr Phil
View Profile
Regular user
Tilton, New Hampshire
160 Posts

Profile of Mr Phil
Hello all,

I am planning to add this effect to my summer show. I own both methods the old fashioned and the Klamm gimmicks. What type of bowl works best? Any ideas, hints or comments would be helpful. Feel free to PM me as I don't want to tip any methods

Thanks
Mr Phil Smile
Mr. Phil & Co. Quality Family Entertainment, Guaranteed! (603) 286-3029 WWW.mrphilandco.com Snail Mail to: P.O. Box 31 Tilton, NH 03276
BryanDreyfus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of BryanDreyfus
I always like a "roundish" bowl but a round fishbowl would work.

Bryan
Oh sure, I can spell "Antidisestablishmentarianism", but I can't type t-h-e.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Phil,
Which method do you like best and why?

Darkwing
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
The original way was with a metal bowl. You just put the sand in, appeared to stir it, then could take it out dry and unmixed.

Then, most magicians decided to go to a clear glass bowl...like a larger goldfish bowl or even a punch bowl. Then, to make it more interesting, the magi would also turn the water dark black...do all the sand business while it was black, then turn it clear again. When Doug Henning did it that way on network TV and in his traveling act back in the 1980's, that became the standard.

Making the water black and then clear again requires some monkeying with chemicals and truth is.... the water does not really go all that clear. In my experience it kind of looks like urine after going back to clear.
quack
martyk
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of martyk
Great effect. I sold this years ago when an insider told us of a new "sand" used in Arts and Crafts that adhered to itself. I briefly had exclusive in the 80's.
Marty K Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Sands of the desert (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL