The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Maskelyne and Devant, Erdnase, and Doc Nixon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Todd Karr
View Profile
V.I.P.
Los Angeles
152 Posts

Profile of Todd Karr
1. Announcing our new 2-CD collection: Maskelyne and Devant: The Literary Works of England's Premier Illusionists.

Maskelyne and Devant dominated the world of English magic for decades during their heyday in London with their resident shows at Egyptian Hall and St. George's Hall. Their elaborate stage illusions and original effects, such as Devant's legendary Mascot Moth and Maskelyne's beautiful levitation, entertained generations of audiences and puzzled magicians as well.

This set is essential reading for any magician, stage illusionist, or historian. It's on sale now for $40 for the double-CD set (regular $50) at http://www.miraclefactory.net !

You get some of these illusionists' rarest and most informative writings:

David Devant: Hand Shadows (1901), Woes of a Wizard (1903), Our Magic (with Nevil Maskelyne, 1911), Tricks for Everyone (1913), Magic Made Easy (1921), My Magic Life (1931), The Best Tricks and How to Do Them (1931), and Secrets of My Magic (1936)

John Nevil Maskelyne: Modern Spiritualism (1876), The Supernatural? (with Lionel Weatherly, 1891), Sharps and Flats (1894), and The Fraud of Theosophy Exposed (1912)

Jasper Maskelyne: Maskelyne's Book of Magic (1936), White Magic: The Story of Maskelynes (1936)

Bonus materials include contemporary news articles, magazine pieces by Devant, and even Maskelyne's typewriter patent. All material is in convenient PDF form on two CDs for easy searching.

2. The Erdnase Scroll

A few words on our beautiful Erdnase Scroll, the amazing artwork we've made from the classic Expert at the Card Table, limited to 300 copies: the title page is hand-tinted using watercolor and india ink with gold and silver accents, and the scroll itself comes in a gorgeous forest-green carrying sack with gold embroidery and a gold tasseled drawstring. They are truly stunning...order yours while you can at the introductory price of $250 (regular $300), postpaid in the U.S. You can see some images at http://www.miraclefactory.net.

The Erdnase Scroll will contain the full account of some NEW research. Here's what I think I've found (and as a journalist and historian, I'm a pretty hard skeptic about facts): the REAL name of the conman named E. S. Andrews I think is Erdnase; the hidden place Andrews seems to have revealed his name, in full view of everyone for 100 years (you'll kick yourself when you see this); accounts of this intelligent scoundrel's activities back into the 1890s; and traces of his family.

3. The Mysterious "Doc" Nixon

William J. "Doc" Nixon was a feature vaudeville performer whose "Where Do the Ducks Go?" routine, Checker Cabinet, Spirit Paintings, and other routines became standards of their day. A tireless inventor, builder, writer, and performer, Nixon suddenly disappeared in the 1930s, leaving magicians to wonder, "Where Did the Doc Go?" Through the decades, the mystery of what happened to Doc Nixon has intrigued magicians. One story was that he had joined a religious order and retired to a monastery. I've researched Nixon's path for years and think I might know where the story ended.

Our new CD collection, The Mysterious Doc Nixon: The Master Stage Magician and His Strange Disappearance collects over 150 of Nixon's stage routines, many illustrated with blueprints. You'll find long-lost secrets of illusions, stage props, mental magic, and spirit effects, along with a huge collection of rare Nixon writings and memorabilia from Nixon's own recently uncovered files, including letters from some of his top clients such as Thurston and Downs. Over 300 pages of material in convenient PDF form on CD for easy searching.

Order now and save $10! Price is only $20 (regular $30). Visit http://www.miraclefactory.net to see full contents and images!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Maskelyne and Devant, Erdnase, and Doc Nixon (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL