The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Self-Working Card Tricks by Karl Fulves (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jim Short
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of Jim Short
Quote:
On 2003-05-13 13:40, cardfreax wrote:
Talking about Karl Fulves, what about "Big Book of Magic Tricks by Karl Fulves" and "Charles Jordan's Best Card Tricks by Karl Fulves"...

The Charles Jordan book has some killer stuff in it. More complex (in some cases) than the _Self Working..._ series, the book is also interesting from a historical perspective.

I would know better how to answer if I knew your specific interests.

jim
Was that meant to be edible?
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of highmagic
Alex, this really is a beginners book... Don't expect to blow out a stage audience with it
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
A few of the effects from his mental magic book have brought me excellent reactions:)
erictan8888
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
517 Posts

Profile of erictan8888
one of the tricks in self-working card tricks called "mental mates" is just fabulous....

A spectator is given 2 black aces and asked to shuffle the deck. The deck is then ribbon spread on the table.

One of the 2 black aces is then inserted by the spectator into the spread, face up. then the second ace is also inserted faced up such that there is a face down card between the 2 face up aces.

at this moment in time, no one knows the faced down card trapped between the 2 face up aces. not even the performer.

the deck of cards is then squared up and placed faced up. By this time, the performer already knows the identity of the trapped card.

there is more to the trick, but i usually stop here and identify the card.

karl Fulves had the performer pick out 2 aces from another deck of cards of different color. (if spectator stab a red deck, then performer stab a blue deck of cards).

when both decks are ribbon spread, the 2 aces from both decks trapped the same card.

(it is found in the trick "mental mates", pg 13, Self-working Card Tricks by karl Fulves.

go get his books on self working card tricks... very impressive... and well worth the money.

eric Smile
"Fill you life with magic by making magic a part of your life." by eric tan.
totalpackage56
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of totalpackage56
Another Self-Working book that seems to have been left off some lists is My Best Self-Working Card Tricks by Fulves. This one is harder to find than the others, but just as good!
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Karl Fulves Self-Working books are great. I just about own every single one of them. They're espeacialy good for beginner Magicians.
AlexWong
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of AlexWong
Brillant book, with tons of brillant effects Smile

Only thing I realised is that, because they are so self-working.... very little time is required to acquire them. That results in easily forgeting them when an impromptu situation arises....

Will be coming back to it soon to work on some more self-working ones again....
MarkusT
View Profile
New user
Germany
54 Posts

Profile of MarkusT
if somebody is interessted in the table of contents of these books:
at amazon.com you can look at it with the LOOK INSIDE feature

Markus
sashain
View Profile
New user
Steve Shain
80 Posts

Profile of sashain
ChrisMagic52 asks about Self-Working Close-Up Card Magic.

I would call attention to a gem called Mind-Mirror. It is a card location from a deck that has been shuffled by the spectator. It is presented as a demonstration of the ability to quickly memorize a packet of cards and to tell which one has been removed. It has a built in repeat.

This is as close to self-working as it gets. Even so, with attention to presentation, the impact is very strong.

Good Luck,
Steve
Steve Shain
Houston, Texas
Bong780
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
172 Posts

Profile of Bong780
I think I've over looked the self-working tricks. I thought most of them are too obvious for people to figure out because they're self working but I guess I'm wrong. I only have 1 book "more self working card tricks", are the others in the series like mental magic, rope, paper magic worth getting?
cardican66
View Profile
Loyal user
Alabama
222 Posts

Profile of cardican66
You can find "Gemni Twins" in "More Self-working Card Tricks." This effect is worth the price of the book, IMHO. I have gotten great reactions with this trick.
Regards,
LLoyd

Experience teaches only the teachable.
Aldous Huxley (1894 - 1963)
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
517 Posts

Profile of spatrick
The self working card magic book was one of the first books I read when starting my road to magic.

I remember doing a three pile selection and a numerology effect that came from that book. I still use them to this day.

S. Patrick
billblum
View Profile
New user
Dubuque Iowa
4 Posts

Profile of billblum
I got this one years ago (Mid 80's) and as soon as I opened the first page I was performing for friends and fooling them with ease. One of the best books for beginners I feel. My favorite was the O Henry Aces.
Jake Boone
View Profile
New user
Cottage Grove, OR
78 Posts

Profile of Jake Boone
I ran across Self Working Card Magic at a used bookstore a little while ago and picked it up for three bucks. I love it... it's full of good, simple stuff to try (especially as I'm a rank beginner at all this stuff), and the variety of effects in just the one book seems pretty wide.

I'm having a lot of fun with the Jumping Joker (I think that's the name) effect at the moment - the one where you riffle the deck and the Joker pops out, having "found" the spectator's card for you.

And the first time I tried "Any Deck, Any Time" (again, I *think* that's the name), my wife was honest-to-goodness amazed. My wife's no dummy, so that's a good sign.

Anyway, if you're a newbie to magic like I am, I'd recommend this book... even if for no other reason, then because it's good to have some effects that one can be reasonably sure one won't screw up.

-- Jake
"Trust everyone... but cut the cards."
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
“Cutting the Aces” is great. It’s a little long, but packs fantastic double punch at the end.
Razamabaz
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Razamabaz
Just seen this thread. The Self working card tricks books are great books and anyone who thinks audiences won't be blown away with some of these tricks is wrong. Gemini twins is a killer and I have stummed many people with it and other tricks from the books.
boctok
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of boctok
I couldn't ignore a KARL Fulves thread, even an old one that's re-emerged. The guy is a total genius, and I think his Dover books are must-haves. They are worthy of infinite re-readings, because something you skipped over the previous time will suddenly reasonate. Often it's a clever principle that you might want to recycle completely differently. It seems that very little is known of Karl's whereabouts and he has avoided interviews. He has anyway created an incredible body of work. I just picked up the complete set of Pallbearers but there is sadly no way I will ever be able to acquire copies of his entire output. What a legacy.
My Lovely Assistant
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of My Lovely Assistant
Just posted a review of Self-Working Handkerchief Magic by Karl Fulves and Dover Publications on TMC:

www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.ph......orum=110
Visit www.mylovelyassistant.com for magic product reviews.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Self-Working Card Tricks by Karl Fulves (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL