The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2009 entrée: Dan & Dave Buck » » Video production. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Hello, I’m Justin Style. Welcome to the Café!

I have a question about your videos, specifically the production. First, I want to say that they are as good and professional as it gets! You do a great job and have certainly raised the bar for quality editing and production.

I don't know much about you guys, could you please tell me/us if you are film students or have a degree in film making?

Also, what type of equipment (camera and editing software...gotta be a Mac!) are you using? And, do you have a podcast?

Really a pleasure, thank you.

IMHO...keep magic as a hobby, you guys have an Oscar in your future, go get it!

If you get to NYC, give me a shout, I’ll take you guys for a spin around the city, on bicycles…

Justin Style
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Welcome Dan & Dave,

Justin beat me to the punch in regard to his question about video production.

I can count on my left hand the the number of magic videos that have the kind of production values that your Trilogy has. And that's in addition to the great magic. It's evident that you cared as much about the look of the DVD as you did the magic

Too many creators are cranking out DVDs with little or no thought put into the production or presentation of the the material on them.

What are your thoughts regarding the lack of thinking and production values put into so many magic videos.

Could you guys also talk about the process you went through to create the "Trilogy" and make it one of the best magic DVDs out there.

All the Best!

Craig
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
krazytim
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of krazytim
These are great questions, I too am very curious about this.

There are definitely lots of other DVDs that are produced that lack the aesthetic quality that your material has by default. Obviously, it's all money/budget related since you guys aren't exactly using home video cameras for this stuff, but do you feel it takes away from the overall experience when other creators are releasing new stuff with average quality?

(By good production, I am talking about D&D, T11, WH, d+M, and E products.)
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Any chance one of you guys wants to comment???
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Well its been 4 days.
trashmanf
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of trashmanf
Maybe they don't want to give away their production secrets. I heard that in their next DVD "andthensome" will be randomly distributed six golden playing cards. whoever gets these will get an exclusive tour of DBsquared's filming garage and editing setup.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I have Triology and there is one very important thing missing from it "CLOSED-CAPTIONING/SUBTITLING."

Please Dan & Dave include Closed-Captioning/Subtitling in your future DVD projects. Subtitling would be the a better choice than Closed-Captioning, because it just works better for every one around the globe. Whatever software you are using to create your DVDs probably has the option to include Subtitling, so please consider it next time.

Thank you
Madkiki
Keith Mitchell
shek
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
244 Posts

Profile of shek
Quote:
On 2009-01-30 20:50, madkiki wrote:
I have Triology and there is one very important thing missing from it "CLOSED-CAPTIONING/SUBTITLING."

Please Dan & Dave include Closed-Captioning/Subtitling in your future DVD projects. Subtitling would be the a better choice than Closed-Captioning, because it just works better for every one around the globe. Whatever software you are using to create your DVDs probably has the option to include Subtitling, so please consider it next time.

Thank you
Madkiki
Keith Mitchell

It actually takes a lot of work to subtitle a DVD, and I don't think this is one of the Twins' priorities.
davebuck
View Profile
V.I.P.
Los Angeles
68 Posts

Profile of davebuck
Mr. Style,

Our interest in filmmaking began in 1999 when we first watched The Matrix. The film blew us away. It was like watching the greatest magician ever at work. It was then we realized that film was a medium that had no limits. As magicians, we always wanted to do the impossible, but as filmmakers, we didn't have to dream about it, we could make it happen. Although we've never made a film, it's a dream of ours and I'm confidant someday we will. Until then, we love watching movies.

Our experience in video production began a few years later when Chris Kenner offered to help us film a DVD. We drove to Las Vegas in our moms car, stayed for a week, and returned home with The System. It was one of the best experiences of our life. We learned so much from Chris and had the best time. We will never forgot that week.

Since then, we have been actively involved in not only producing our own DVDs, but have helped many friends over the years with their own projects. Our expertise pretty much comes from trial and error. We've read a few books on lighting and editing as well as how to books on software programs, but for the most part, like anything, it comes from practice.
EvanTheMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of EvanTheMagicMan
What software do you use to edit your DVDs?

Thanks!
AllanH
View Profile
New user
Norway
14 Posts

Profile of AllanH
Hey, Evan. I'll fill this one; even though I'm not Dan and/or Dave.
Mostly everything they use is contained within Apple's Final Cut Studio with one or two exceptions. Final Cut Pro for logging, organizing and editing; as well as grading and effects. Motion for more complex compositions/effects, Soundtrack Pro for audio post production, and DVDStudio Pro for DVD authoring and menus!

It's the best complete post production package in its price range, it's way cheaper than any other complete good post production pack out there, and highly recommended! It's currently the most used professional editing suite in both film/TV and on institutions such as schools, and by amateur/professionals.

While solutions like Avid perhaps still lead the motion picture industry, Apple's FCS is slowly gaining the confidence of more and more editors.
/shameless Apple plug
Allan.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Quote:
On 2009-01-31 03:06, davebuck wrote:
Mr. Style...,

Thanks for the answer, kid... Smile

But don't call me Mr. Style...call my father Mr. Style. You may call me Justin. And I'll call you Dave!

So before you split, thanks again. You guys do a great job and I look forward to your future releases.

:cheers:
travisbickle
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of travisbickle
I thought you guys went to film school...
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I have great respect for anyone who seriously works at producing high quality DVDs - it is much more work than what most people imagine. Good job guys! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2009 entrée: Dan & Dave Buck » » Video production. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL