The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Youtube Magicians: Read this before you upload! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I've been disappointed by a lot of the magic I've seen on youtube, so I decided to post some tips for the young magicians out there. Please think about these things before you upload your video.

1. Watch your video before you upload it. Did you effectively perform the trick? The beauty of video, is unlike real-world performances you get the luxury of a do-over. Also, unlike real-world performances, so does the viewing audience so the deceptiveness of your performance must be held to a higher standard than normal. It most hold up to repeated viewings. If it can't withstand that level of scrutiny, don't upload.

2. Production values Make sure the camera is in focus, the scene is well lit, white balanced, good audio levels, no distracting backgrounds. You think I wouldn't have to say this, but just watch magic on youtube and you'll see that I do. If you are still getting set up when you hit "record", edit that part out... Better yet, get someone else to work the camera.

3. Present yourself! Point the camera away from your hands and crotch and get your face in the shot. Get some recognition for your performance. And for god sakes, put some decent clothes on! No more performing in your pajamas, gym shorts, whatever beat up old t-shirt you happened to have on at the time.

4. Come up with a new name for your video If you're doing the Laser scissors trick, don't call your video "The laser scissors trick", unless you want your viewers to find 10 related videos linked directly to yours that say "The laser scissors trick revealed!" Unethical jerks are out to ruin the magic, count on it. Plan ahead

5. Control the comments Either turn them off completely, or require that they get your approval before posting, otherwise you'll have those same jerks saying "The laser scissors were up his sleeve!" (also, see tip #1)
Mr. Ray
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ray
Really goos post Geoff!
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
In almost every beginners book on magic it says to never perform the same trick twice for the same person. In the advanced books it suggests changing the method, when repeating a trick. I feel that posting videos goes against the basics.

I keep all of my magic videos private. When I want feedback, I have others join and add me as a friend. Then I can let them watch a private viewing. I've also emailed bits to people as well.

I think for demo purposes, edited funny patter, flashy changes/restorations, and audience reactions are sufficient. Why post anything else?
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
RamonT
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of RamonT
That would be great,if people who upload videos heed that advice.
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Very true. What your username Josh, as I bet you kick some major ass with your magic, Ed, (Eddini), C.H.
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I'll hook you up Ed. Look for my invite.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
manks123
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of manks123
Great advice

Stefan
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
I reckon this fabulous thread has earned Sticky-Status .
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
I would also like to add that you should take note of what will also be behind you in the shot. Try not to get your pile of laundry, trash cans, or any other items that don't fit into the shops.
Vaughn Ver Steegt
View Profile
New user
Janesville, Iowa
56 Posts

Profile of Vaughn Ver Steegt
It's also nice to see clean hands and finger nails. Don't mumble and talk like you have a mouth full of marbels or talk too fast.
Salah AAZEDINE
View Profile
Regular user
Morocco
177 Posts

Profile of Salah AAZEDINE
I totally agree with all the point you mentionned on your post, I do not post video on youtube but i'v posted some on my facebook profile most of the video are just flourishes or visual trick that are hard to figure out even after repeatinig it like the melting point and aquarius.
mistermagic
View Profile
New user
currently N Carolina
80 Posts

Profile of mistermagic
I'd like to add that it isn't necessary to twirl between the fingertips every card before it's turned over. It can get irritating.
I'll soon be ending all of my posts with "nuff said."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Youtube Magicians: Read this before you upload! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL