The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Shipping a bike (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Has anyone have ever brought a bicycle on a plane? Long distance? I want my bike brought over to me by someone from Ireland to Paraguay. There's a gang coming my way in April, so I guess that would be the time to do it. How much does this cost? Or does anyone have any idea how much it costs to ship a bike internationally? (my bike weighs about 10kilos) Cheers
Scott
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I bet Justin would ride it to Paraguay.
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
You need to check with the air carrier. Often I find it cheaper to ship than pay the over sized and/or over weight on an airline. Plus, no one has to be dragging it around an airport, where shipping it comes to your door. Most airlines only give you $2000 U.S. if damaged. You can insure it for what ever you want with a shipping company.

Get the exact dimensions of the box and the weight of it. Then three quotes. One from the airline and two from different shipping companies. Perhaps ship the frame in one box and the tires in a second box?
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
That's not a bike, it's a TANK! 10 kilos???

That will cost you BIG time...

But if you are willing to pay, then go to a bike shop and drop about $100 - $200 on a shipping box.

Either you or the bike shop can break the bike down. It fits very nicely in the box and everything is held securely.

I have never shipped my bike in a box, but I did ship my bike via truck. When we rode in Iowa, my team rented a truck and we loaded all of our stuff; bikes, tents, etc. The truck drove to Iowa and we took a plane. Each night we would locate our truck in the overnight town, break out the tents, sleep, wake up, pack up tents, load truck. We would ride the days miles and the truck would drive to the destination. We repeated the process 7 more times.

But anyway...

If you don't have a bike shop, check out:

http://www.perfromancebike.com

Good luck!

And keep on riding -

Me riding to Paraguay - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksgetU-Vpao

One last tip...deflate the tires before you ship.
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
It's about 20lbs, so I guess 9 kilos or so. I guess by today's standards that's quite heavy. I built it myself, almost 20years ago. Wow, time flies! Tommasini frame, Campagnolo groupset. Still love it, great bike

Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I think dismantling it and having each one of the gang (like oceans eleven...kinda) bring over a part would not only be cool, would be cost effective.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
TSA: "Is that a Crank in your pants"?

Gang member: Uh, yes. Yes it is!
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Take the speedo as hand luggage and work out how many miles an hour you are going and how many calories you are burning.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Have it taken apart and packed in as small of a carton as you can. When you ship you will be charged actual weight or dim weight depending in which is higher. To calculate dim weight multiply L x W x H then divide by 194, that will give you the weight in pounds you'll be paying for.

If you want to use a forwarder one of the better ones in South America is Panalpina. Do check with local customs because South American countries are known for sticking it to people big time, you are in one of the countries I didn't do business with unfortunately so I am not familiar to their taxes. When sent absolutely have it sent as previously owned personal property not for resale. Ireland tries to get a taste of green out of exports at times and being personal property often saves the day.

Good luck. Oh, I just saw someone is bringing it over. Again break it down as small as possible, make sure no air in tires, and have them check it. We brought over one of those hang gliders from Ireland (it got ran over by a forklift in San Francisco!) with no problems.
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Well, from what I've seen, it's a lot cheaper to bring it on a plane rather than ship it. About a quarter of the price. So I reckon that's how it's going to happen. Cheers!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Shipping a bike (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL