The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Help with Darwine on the Mac--Scott maybe? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Hi,
I've downloaded Darwine 1.0.4, a Windows emulator for the Mac, but have no luck in actually running it. I've got as far as opening the dmg image and dragging the Darwine folder to the application folder. In the Darwine folder is a darwine.bundle app which does nothing when I click on it. There's also a darwine helper app which opens a small process window which is empty. Anybody can help with this--I've got an Intel Mac.

Thanks,
Jack
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Actually it's a wine.bundle app and a wine helper app.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Ah,now I've got it. It's simple--just run the windows app you want--don't expect to try to run a windows operating system first. The program then calls x11.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Shouldn't that be IX11? Smile
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Ah.

Anyway, I've got the Windows-only Stackview software running on my mac without having to pay a penny for windows, as darwine is open source.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I always thought Windows-emulators were a mistake because they gave software developers another reason not to write software for the Macintosh.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
True. But Stackview is a great playing card shuffle and memorization program created by a Café member who has neither the time nor expertise to turn this into a mac program.

So it's nice that it works with this emulator.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Help with Darwine on the Mac--Scott maybe? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL