The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mark Wilson's Magic University (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Paul Gross over at Hocus Pocus made this exciting announcement:

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?product=11272

"It's finally happening! Over a year and a half ago, Mark Wilson began work on what can be considered his largest contribution to the art of magic to date! The revolution of learning and making magic has begun! Hocus Pocus, in partnership with Mark and Nani Wilson, are excited to announce this exciting new concept to the magic community!

Mark Wilson long ago achieved his dream of presenting the first magic series ever on network television. Now, he invites you to share in his dream to expand the worldwide popularity of magic, as a hobby and as a profession, to a level never before possible. This is your opportunity to join him as a Founding Member on this truly magical journey.

Most magicians have heard the name Mark Wilson, even if only from his monumental volume of magic education, The Mark Wilson Complete Course in Magic. Published in six languages around the world, more than 850,000 readers have learned magic from Marks best-selling book. Now just imagine:

* What if Mark Wilson was available to give you personal instruction anywhere, any time?
* What if Mark's instructions were easy to follow in full color moving video images?
* What if, instead of having to shift attention from text to picture, Mark personally spoke to you, teaching you every move, every sleight, every detail?

Just think about it - in the past magic instruction has only been available in books, on videotapes and DVDs, or, for the lucky few, by personal instruction from an expert magician. Now Mark Wilson, through the Internet, has made possible a revolutionary new way of learning. It's easier, faster, and available instantly, at any time, anywhere in the world, from the world's most renowned magic instructor!

That's why Mark Wilson created the Magic University, to teach eager students throughout the world, how to perform high-impact, professional quality magic.

There are hundreds of web sites that merely demonstrate tricks or shamelessly expose magic's secrets to the simply curious. The Magic University is designed to stimulate untapped interest in the art, providing step-by-step, real time instructions from the world's foremost magic educator, Mark Wilson.

Quite honestly, there has never been an education program of this scope and magnitude in the history of the magical arts. And it is a perfect culmination of the goals that magic pioneers Mark and Nani Wilson have strived for throughout their honored careers as magical entertainers and educators.

The initial roll-out of the Magic University will be through Founding Memberships only, for which the fee is $250.00.

Founding Members will receive:

* A full year of Magic University lessons (Regularly $29.95/month), an annual savings of $109.00 with your pre-paid tuition
* 12 magic lessons per month (3 lessons per week) sent to you via your personal email
* Founding Member Identification Card, newly designed and signed by Mark Wilson and Nani Darnell Wilson
* Magic University Founding Member Certificate, specially printed with Founding Member's name, suitable for framing, signed by Mark Wilson and Nani Darnell Wilson
* Perpetual listing on the Magic University Founding Member's web page
* 8x10 publicity photograph of Mark and Nani personally autographed to the Founding Member

There are many additional student benefits including an internet chat room, continued updates on previously taught tricks and of important developments in the art, notification of magic events worldwide, interviews and articles from successful magicians on trick selection, performance and routining, all of which will be covered in the Magic University newsletter.

This is your opportunity to participate as a Founding Member in the revolutionary creation of the history-making Mark Wilson Magic University, which will change the future of the art of magic worldwide.

This special Founding Membership offer is good for a limited time only; when the goal is reached, Founding Memberships will never be offered again.

Please note that this is a pre-paid, "pre-application" offer. Actual delivery of three lessons per week will begin April 30. The opportunity to become a Founding Member will end on April 30.

As a special bonus, the first 40 people to become Founding Members will receive the Sorcerer's Apprentice Kit, Volume 1 by Mark Wilson, absolutely free so you can get started right away!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
I saw this in my email earlier. I'm curious as to some examples of what he'll be teaching.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2009-02-18 21:10, herdman14 wrote:
I saw this in my email earlier. I'm curious as to some examples of what he'll be teaching.

If you go to the link it takes you to Mark's course and there are video examples.

Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I posted this in the DVD section, but I guess you beat me to it Christopher..
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
It looks like most of this is a rehash of some videos Mark put out many years ago for the general public. Mostly material from the big book. However, there may be some new material. I think I vaguely remember infommercials advertising these things.
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Quote:
On 2009-02-18 21:30, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-18 21:10, herdman14 wrote:

If you go to the link it takes you to Mark's course and there are video examples.

Thanks Chris! I overlooked the link at the bottom.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Mario, my pleasure.

Best,
Chris

michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
What a fun reminder... just hearing the name Magic University brought back memories. When I was in grade 3, having been interested in magic and performing since grade 1, my mom surprised me with subscribing me to this amazing little monthly magic course called Magic University... it was produced by the Scholastic Book Company. Every month I received a new package focusing on one specific area of magic (mentalism, restaurant magic, levitation, vanishing objects, transformations, illusions, comedy magic), and each came with a book of about 15 effects as well as tons of quite nicely made props such as silks, sponge balls, gaffed decks, Multiplying Balls, invisible thread, thumb tips, and so, so much more. But, without warning, they suddenly cancelled the program, didn't offer my parents a refund, and stopped sending me packages.

Sorry for rambling about a completely irrelevant topic. Truth is, I had completely forgotten about it up until now.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
Mike McEathron
View Profile
Regular user
Peterborough Ontario Canada
163 Posts

Profile of Mike McEathron
Looks like a lot of money for what your going to get.

Have to wait and see.

Mike
Paul Gross
View Profile
Special user
574 Posts

Profile of Paul Gross
Hello,

With all due respect to Mr. McEathrons comments above I must disagree.

You recieve 12 lessons per month. Three every week, a total of 156 lessons in one year. The total cost is $250.00 for the entire year. That breaks down to only $1.60 per lesson. Each lesson taught by Mark Wilson and is yours to keep forever I think is more than a bargain.

Mark & Nani Wilson have contributed and given more to the magic community than any other performers in the field of magic. Their magic classes taught at the Magic Castle are always sold out and in high demand. Look at their long line of credits and then think to yourself what can I learn from them. The wealth of knowledge shared in this course will be valuable information for generations to come. There is something offered here for everyone who is interested in the art of magic.

Hocus Pocus is very proud to be part of this groundbreaking new venture. If you have any questions regarding the Magic University please feel free to contact me anytime toll free 1-800-407-4040 or by email sales@hocus-pocus.com.

Best regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
Best Regards,

Paul Gross

Owner

http://www.hocus-pocus.com
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Seems like a fair price to me, for what you're getting. A one year membership is less $$ than the True Astonishments box set, after all. There's something kind of nice and old fashioned about receiving lessons in weekly installments, like the original Tarbell course, or even the classic Charles Atlas ("I Made A Man Out of Mac!) bodybuilding course. It'd be perfect for a youngster, especially - they'd get a great education, learn the value of patience, and always have something to look forward to in the mail each week.

Had to laugh, though, when I clicked on the link for the sample lesson. Up popped an offer for a one-week trial for $1, but you had to accept the user's agreement, which read: "...Place your agreement text here...
...it is better to insert already formatted text here..." Must've been written by the same folks who wrote last year's bank bailout.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Mike McEathron
View Profile
Regular user
Peterborough Ontario Canada
163 Posts

Profile of Mike McEathron
My comments are based on the initial look at the program and in no way are to be considered to be my final judgment.

However many of the items on the site at this time are already clearly explained in Mark Wilson's book and it would seem that it is a duplication of what is already available.

That being said I might have been better off to hold off any judgment as I am do not want to offend anyone.

I am sorry to Paul Gross if my comments offend you in any way I have done plenty of business with Hocus pocus and I have found Paul and his team to be a stand up bunch of people.

Cheers

Mike
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
The site looks like something from 1995. If you lived in Mayberry and hung out with Goober and Gomer, it might appeal. Young people want young, hip people teaching them.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!
~Joe
sman
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of sman
I am a founding member and from the beginning I received 3 lessons per week until they changed their format. Then all the lessons from prior to the change were gone and not accessable to hit and miss on succeeding lessons. I have to say I have learned much about presentation of classic magic which is the true value here. I am just not too satisfied about delivery.

Skip
sman
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of sman
I just went back and checked -- prior to their change I had 20 weeks of lessons (three lessons each week) and in my library on the new system I have ten and have not received any new lessons since 2/16/2010.

I must say I have the highest regard for Mark and his family. The program may be worth it but the service is not there yet. I am not trying to flame the topic and don't want to cause trouble. Just stating the facts as I see them.

Skip
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Based on the look of the site, I'm not surprised.

There was another site, The Lecture Network, that looked the same. Old, lame graphics and..they didn't deliver what was promised. I imagine the "university" will fold eventually also.
~Joe
sman
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of sman
I received five weeks of new lessons on April 30. Just want to let you know the service has improved. I don't know about folding any time soon. It seems to me Mark is very devoted to making this work. He sells it well at each of his lectures. A lot can be learned from him about presentation and back ground of magic.

Skip
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
388 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
I am a hobbyist magician at best. I was also one of the founding members of Mark Wilson's "Magic University" a few years ago when I had some extra money laying around. The last email I got from them that contained magic lessons was in 2009. I just went to their website today for the first time in three or four years and also clicked the links in the emails I had saved from 2009, but the site for the Magic University seems to have folded. I feel kind of ripped off. I can't recall how much I paid to be a "founding member", but I think it was a couple hundred dollars if not more. The website was kind of lame from what I can remember, and often times the promised emails and lessons never came or came late. Gee, do you think that's why the site folded up and went out of business? Can I get a refund? (That last question was rhetorical). Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mark Wilson's Magic University (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL