The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Best Reaction I've ever had (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Irfaan
View Profile
New user
South Africa
56 Posts

Profile of Irfaan
SHEER AWESOMENESS!!!!

Ok, so my girlfriend and I are at a Bed & Breakfast for valentines. I've known the owners for quite some time and have built up a little reputation for magic. So I'm in my room, practicing card throws, and at the end slip the deck into my pocket without putting it back into it's case.

I go outside to the pool area, and sit down with everyone in the hut for a barbecue. Without provocation, the owner starts telling everyone around the table how amazing I am with magic and so forth, and completely out of the blue, his wife produces a blue deck of cards still in it's case and hands it to me and demands that I show everyone a trick.

By chance the topic of conversation changed just then, and at the same time I had an epiphany! Nonchalantly, I removed the deck from its case, stole 2 jokers + 1 indifferent card and slipped them with my right hand into my right pocket with my RED deck as my left hand came forward over the table with the blue deck.

Equally nonchalant, I slipped the red deck (now showing blue backs) out of my right pocket as my left hand slipped the blue deck into my left pocket (my pockets are under the table). Face up, I arrange the blue jokers and indifferent card as per Paul Harris's Color Stunner, slip the gaffed deck back into the case on the table, and leave it there about 2 feet away from me.

The conversations continue for about ten more minutes, when suddenly someone remembers that I have to do a trick for them. And I swear, that deck lying innocently on the table 2 feet away looked as if I had never even touched it!

So I slip the deck out of it's case, and go into the routine. When I changed the color of the deck at the end, people were gob-smacked!! Some jumped out of their chairs, one lady dropped face first into the table top, and 1 guy just pointed and said, "that's just wrong, dude".

Imagine changing the color of an untouched, borrowed deck? If I saw a magician do that, even though I know a few methods, I would have fallen off my chair too!! Oh yes, one old lady took the now red deck and started rubbing the backs, to see if the color would come off! Sleight of hand (which layman use to explain everything), is OBVIOUSLY (to them) completely IMPOSSIBLe in this case!

Talk about good luck! Everything in the right place by chance! How often does that happen, you know, when you get the chance to perform a REAL miracle?? Anybody else got some good stories?
I Believe
johnstephy
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of johnstephy
Riley!!! COngrats!!

I'm with you man....I get eexcited just by reading the post...nothing's better than fooling people that badly~!!!!

Color changing deck has always been in my repitoire. It's a trick for a semi-special occasion though when everyone's attention span is long or medium, if you know what I mean

good on you dude keep it up
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Sounds like you fried them all. Congrats!
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Congrats, Riley, but be advised: the feeling you got from that experience is a lot like heroin. Only the first hit is free.

After that, it begins to cost you... Smile
Fred Johnson
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Fred Johnson
If you visit the B&B periodically you may want to set some stuff for future use. Such as pasting a two of hearts on the wall behind a picture for a future reveal, etc. Malini was said to be a master at setting up stuff in his travels and when he returned sometimes years later was often set to get the feeling you did.
rickreation
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of rickreation
That kind of effect is what it is all about!
Mach
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Mach
Ha, that's a brilliant story. Thank for sharing your experience.
BAGWIZ
View Profile
Loyal user
San Francisco Bay Area
236 Posts

Profile of BAGWIZ
Great story! A few weeks ago I was at a college graduation party for a friend's daughter. Someone pulled out a deck of cards and asked if I would show everyone a few things. A woman close to the person with the cards, grabbed them and randomly pulled out a card. She held it up with the back to me and everyone else and said, "What card am I holding?" The woman was pretty drunk and I wasn't much better off; normally I'd just side-step that kind of challenge and go in another direction. But this time I think the alcohol got the better of me, so I just said, "It is the four of spades".

And so it was!

In forty years of magic I've had a lot of strange things happen, but not like this. After that, it almost didn't matter what I did!

I'll share another one for a later time .... it is the story of the burning rabbit.
seneca77
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa Bay, Florida
201 Posts

Profile of seneca77
Great story Irfaan!

I have a similar story to Bagwiz's about naming a card at random.

Years ago I was with some friends and the talk turned to ESP, etc. I prattled on about how everyone has the power within them to some degree and borrowed a deck of cards show an experiment.

I placed a card face down on the table that only I had seen (say it was the eight of diamonds). Now admittedly this is pretty lame, but I went into the "Name two suits" bit to one of the people watching. Well, the girl misunderstood and just blurted out a card. Yep, she said "eight of diamonds."

It had never happened before and will never happen again, I'm sure, but I played it for all it was worth. By the time I turned the card over, there were quite a few gasps!
The Big Q
View Profile
New user
Sydney, Australia
49 Posts

Profile of The Big Q
I had performed on the weekend and, after waking up late the next day, threw some clothes on and went to work (I'm a school teacher)...with my 'cigarette up nose' still attached to my jacket. I happened to catch a group of 15 year old kids smoking - and could help myself, joined them, asked for a cigarette, switched it for my own, and shoved it up the nose. After the astonishment (and some delight) I led them away to the principals office - for once with no complaining, they spent the whole time wondering how the hell I did it.

I should point out that it can be dangerous...I did the same thing at a party, and the guy whose cigarette I 'borrowed' was ready to punch me for wasting a cigarette...I suppose they are expensive these days!
KENNYRB
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of KENNYRB
I love the stories they are all great. One of my best experiences was when a friend of mine was doing some impromptu magic and no one knew that we knew each other or that I too was a magi. I quickly set a deck of cards up for a trick we had both been talking about earlier that evening. I then pulled it out and said "I bet you can't do any magic with my deck" He took the deck and quickly spotted the set up and totaly blew them all away. It was a brillant magical moment for all concerned.
Jia Truong
View Profile
New user
Australia
38 Posts

Profile of Jia Truong
Congrats! To the spectators, you pulled off a miracle! Can't wait to more of these stories.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Best Reaction I've ever had (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL