The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2009 entrée: Bob Sheets » » The incredible Scotty York! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Bob, you and Scotty used to room together and he even worked for you. Do you ever hear from him since he retired?

And...any story about working with Scotty that stands out?

Thanks Bob!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
BobSheets
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of BobSheets
You're cracking me up Chis.

I have lunch every couple of years. We're do for one soon. I do talk to him on the phone occasionally. He's not doing much magic because it interferes with his golf. Then I'll hear, after the fact he did a convention in South Carolina and a coin gathering in Pensylvania. So I don't know. Maybe we can pull him back to the fold.

Over and out. bob.
BobSheets
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of BobSheets
Story? Right.

We had a rule at the Jolly Jester and the Brookfarm Inn of Magic where Scotty worked as the Magic Bartender. The rule was no duplication of material. I didn't want someone to go to work for someone at the bar or a table and have them say,” we just saw that."

So you couldn't do Rings, Cups, or Stab I had that covered. Steve did Ambitious Card, Bill in Lemon. John Kennedy did etc. You could get a routine by all of us but Scotty had the biggest working repertoire in magic. So we always sent the new guy to him and see if he made the cut. Lot’s of them did not. The poor guy would go through his material usually shaking like a leaf this was, The Silver Fox, (a name I gave him) Scotty York. Now Scotty would say, “OK you can have that one, not that one, “ until the guy was fit to be tied. Sometimes we’d set him up by having Scotty shoot down everything the guy did. It was sort of our right of passage. It set the bar pretty high and was one of the things that set us apart from other magic places. If you did a routine better than Scotty he let you have it.

Scotty of course was an awesome magician and was always working on something. Many world-class magicians came to see Scotty work because he was Scotty York. Great guy. Great magician.

bob.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
We gotta get Scotty tired of golf.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2009 entrée: Bob Sheets » » The incredible Scotty York! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL